X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay22
    replied
    Oh thank you JJ, it has been particularly wet here and although the plants do have a certain amount of cover the rain still gets to them depending on which way they wind is blowing! Hopefully that's all it is.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    I've removed some blah looking leaves too Leaves sometimes get splashed & scorched or wet leaves touching the ground can pick up fungal/bacterial issues that look similar. I don't think its blight,I'd just keep an eye on the stem for brown markings to be definite of blight,those look a bit like water droplet shapes?

Leave a comment:

• Jay22
    replied
    Hello everyone, looking for some advice please. I've noticed my tomatoes plants looking a bit blah...this is what the leaves are looking like, is it anything to worry about?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1922.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2373096

Leave a comment:

• vixylix
    replied
    Not that I'm aware of - and no damage to anything else?! I thought it might be a deficiency but I've been feeding with tomatorite weekly?

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    Have you had any hailstorms? that looks like the hail damage I had earlier in the year

Leave a comment:

• vixylix
    replied
    Hi all,

Just noticed this on my tomatoes - I dont think it is blight looking at the pics in this thread, but is it the very start of blight or is it something entirely different? What should I do? My tomatoes were FINALLY turning yellow!!!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Martin H
    replied
    I'm pretty sure it's not blight. The leaves often go like this late in the season, just before they start dying off. I suspect your crop is nearly ready to lift.

Leave a comment:

• Amandaod
    replied

Saw this on my potatoes yesterday, can someone tell me if it's blight? We have had a lot of sun so wasn't sure if it was maybe sun damage from my over watering.. but it's my first couple of months growing anything and I have no idea Help!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hardie
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicos View Post
    Hi there Mark.
    According to this....

Q. Can I save seeds from my tomatoes?

A. The pathogen is not carried on seeds, but if infected fruits rot before seeds are mature, there won’t be any viable seeds to harvest.
    - See more at: Late Blight FAQ's | University of Maryland Extension
    That's good news, thanks. I have saved a couple of ripe toms to do just this. Luckily there was a good crop last month before the blight took hold.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hardie
    replied
    Hello Scarlet,

Thanks very much for the advice - that's great. I do have a couple of ripe toms which I saved before the blight, which I'll drain the seeds from in hope of them growing next year. I'll aim to do this earlier next year I think. Will I be able to use the same soil in their pots again or is it advisable to chuck that too?

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark Hardie View Post
    If it is blight, what should I do with the plants?
    Dig up, bag and bin them.

Originally posted by Mark Hardie View Post
    Luckily I had a good crop before this happened, but I did want to rescue some seeds to grow more next year. Is that possible, and if so, how?
    You can't save seed from fruit that isn't ripe. Did you eat all the ripe ones? If you have a few remaining, use the fermentation method to save seeds - pop in a jar of water, let ferment for three days so that all the flesh is removed from the seed, the seeds will drop to the bottom of the jar. Pour away the mould and remaining water, rinse the seeds in fresh water and dry on a plate. I always save seed earlier in the season just incase I get a problem like this.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Hi there Mark.
    According to this....

Q. Can I save seeds from my tomatoes?

A. The pathogen is not carried on seeds, but if infected fruits rot before seeds are mature, there won’t be any viable seeds to harvest.
    - See more at: Late Blight FAQ's | University of Maryland Extension
    Last edited by Nicos; 29-09-2014, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Hardie
    replied

Hello,

I'm brand new to gardening and decided to grow 3 varieties of tomato this year, with great success. However, in the last few days, things have gone rapidly down hill and I suspect it is blight, judging by the responses and photographs in this thread. Luckily I had a good crop before this happened, but I did want to rescue some seeds to grow more next year. Is that possible, and if so, how?

If it is blight, what should I do with the plants?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark Hardie; 29-09-2014, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
    I've lost another three fruit over the last week but the rest seem stable.

However I'm not going to leave them to see if they ripen... I'm going to make Green Tomato Cake!
    If a few have already gone brown you need to cook them ASAP it doesn't take long for them to taste bad and don't save any seeds....

Leave a comment:

• teakdesk
    replied
    My outdoor tomatoes had small amounts of blight on leaves and stem a fortnight ago. I stripped off affected leaves daily for a week until three fruit showed brown. Then I stipped all fruit and put to dry in a cool room. I've lost another three fruit over the last week but the rest seem stable.

However I'm not going to leave them to see if they ripen... I'm going to make Green Tomato Cake!

I've not made it before but is was recommended to me. There are plenty of recipes on the net.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X