Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! ANTS IN MY COMPOSTER!! please help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! ANTS IN MY COMPOSTER!! please help!

eeeeeuuugghh!!
    Ive just been in the composter to put some peelings in and i have got a HUGE ant infestation!!!! HELP!!!
    Does anyone know.....
    WHY?
    HOW?
    WHAT THE BLOODY ELL DO I DO!!!
    (I hate ants by the way!)
    Chelle xxxxxx
    'REMEMBER, AS FAR AS ANYONE KNOWS WE ARE A NORMAL FAMILY!'

Originally posted by chellybobs View Post
    eeeeeuuugghh!!
    Ive just been in the composter to put some peelings in and i have got a HUGE ant infestation!!!! HELP!!!
    Does anyone know.....
    WHY?
    HOW?
    WHAT THE BLOODY ELL DO I DO!!!
    (I hate ants by the way!)
    Chelle xxxxxx
    Yep my ant buddies are starting to re-appear, last year they hit the composter and to remove them with out contaminating the compost I poured a few kettles of boiling water on them.

This year i'm ready for them, nippon ant traps have been laid all round the garden.

But ive also noticed the lottie has 2 red ant nests

Comment

Is it a worm composter or a regular compost bin? I don't think they'll ruin your compost, but on the other hand if there are a lot of them and you really can't cope, you could get some ant bait from the supermarket or garden centre and put it next to the bin. The ants take the poison into their nest and it kills the queen and larvae - after that they just give up the colony, I think. It takes a bit longer than spraying with insecticide, but it's better since it won't contaminate your compost:

Ant Stop! : Products : Ant Stop! Bait Station

We use it indoors very successfully, though I've not tried it in the garden.
      Last edited by Eyren; 17-04-2009, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I've got ants nesting in my Dalek too. It's not a problem. Water them if they bother you.

I've got loads of red ants in my garden, but I leave them be.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Its a standard big black thing, we got from the council - they dont go in for design lol! I'll have a look for ant trap type thingy, and ill boil the kettle later lol! ANYTHING to get rid of them - they just go through me uugh!
          Thanks guys x

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            I've got ants nesting in my Dalek too. It's not a problem. Water them if they bother you.

I've got loads of red ants in my garden, but I leave them be.
            DALEK - LOVE THAT!!!! IM new to this so not heard that b4, will use that again soo good lol!

Comment

Getting ants in a Dalek compost bin is not unusual; your compost is probably too dry
              There's no need to get ant killing powder or to use boiling water. Break up the compost -cum - ant's nest with a fork, chuck in 2 or 3 bucket's of cold water, and stir it up again. Don't worry about using too much water, any excess will just drain out

Comment

there are ants in my dalek also, not a problem - they are helping churn the compost up

You could always try nematodes if they really bother you

aka
                Suzie

Comment

We used semolina last year. It seemed to work, although we also tried chickens so I couldn't say it was definitely the semolina that did it

If you use the search button there are some threads about it - you put down a dish of semolina (I mixed mine with sugar to make it more attractive) and they take it back to the nest, the queen eats it, semolina expands, queen explodes, no more ants.
                  Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Think I'll try the buckets of water first - sounds cheap and organic enough for a newbie lol!
                    Cheers all xx

Comment

nematodes be organic too an all
                      aka
                      Suzie

Comment

The semolina trick worked for me last year.

I don't mind the black ants too much unless their nest is right under a plant which then collapses (melons last year then the little b****rs ate the only decent fruit).

Red ants Noooo........I fell asleep sunbathing on the lawn a few years back - right on top of a red ant nest. I was in agony all day

Comment

We had a nest in one of my Dad's raised beds last year. I read somewhere that they only like undisturbed soil. So after I flooded it with the hose for four days in a row, I dug it over. This year I let the 'Laydees' on there, but they had all gone! I hate the little wotsits too, so good luck!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I've heard Nutrasweet™ is an effective ant nest killer – anyone want to experiment on the ants rather than themselves
                            Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Ants don't usually bother me, as long as they're not doing damage just leave them alone. But a few years ago I had a row of lettuce under a clotch, when I lifted the clotch they were black with ants, really gave me the shivers, so I just dug the lot in. They must have moved on because nothing else was affected that year.
                              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X