Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice in green house

Hello everyone,

I have a mouse or mice in my greenhouse for the first time ever! I managed to catch a beautiful field mouse in a humane trap a few weeks ago who had not caused any damage. But since then they have either come back or someone else has moved in! I'm on my third planting of peas as they keep being eaten.

Can anyone suggest any non-kill methods for dealing with mice? Or how to protect my seeds/seedlings?

Many thanks!
    Last edited by Suziebun; 04-05-2022, 08:49 AM.

I don't use break backs as I get frogs, toads and robins in my greenhouse. Mice were eating my cape gooseberries.
    Have a good root around. I found a nest under my propagator!
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Mint and mothballs. Supposed not to like the smell of either, but I've never tried them.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

I've never tried mothballs, but I have found mint to be absolutely useless at deterring them.

Comment

I don’t have a GH,I protect my pea sowings outside with net pegged or tied onto the container but make sure passing hedgehogs can’t reach it.

Comment

I've sprinkled curry powder over newly sown peas outside and the peas were left alone. The first time I didn't use it mice had the lot. If you do use curry it's best if you can find one that's fairly low in salt.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Cold you sow your peas in the house moving them to the GH as soon as they pop up above the compost?
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Take out a fairly wide furrow and sow the peas. Before you cover them put some gorse clippings over them. Mouse comes along, digs down to get the peas and gets its nose pricked. Doesn’t like it so goes off somewhere else in search of food.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
                  I've sprinkled curry powder over newly sown peas outside and the peas were left alone. The first time I didn't use it mice had the lot. If you do use curry it's best if you can find one that's fairly low in salt.
                  It's the chilli that keeps them away, so rather than buying curry powder you'd be better off just buying hot chilli powder. You won't have to worry about salt that way, and it will have more of the actual important ingredient.

Comment

Thank you for everyones replies! I appreciate the help.

I've got some chilli powder and have sprinkled it onto my potted up peas. I'm excited to see if the seeds are still there in the morning ☺️
                    Last edited by Suziebun; 05-05-2022, 07:50 PM.

Comment

So a little update:

I tried the chilli powder with mixed results. It did seem to save some pea seeds from being found by the mouse, however the mouse still nosed around in the pots and ate some of the seeds. I'd say it was still worth a go though.

I am now experimenting with plastic milk bottles cut in half and slid over the pea pots. I put some small holes in the top.

After night one, no pea seeds eaten! I'll post again if it failed.

Last edited by Suziebun; 09-05-2022, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I've been reading this with interest and Mr GF was getting really excited about the chilli powder working. He says he is still going to try it. Knowing how enthusiastic and heavy handed he can be I think if mice go near they will be going around with their tongues out begging for water for days!

Comment

It certainly makes the green house smell delicious!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X