Lily beetle

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lily beetle

A heads up for those of you with lilies….I found one beetle on my potted plant a couple of days ago …..and five today

Kerp those eyes peeled folks!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/biodiversity/lily-beetle
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

I don't have any lilies as I have two cats. However I looked up the RHS to see if they are a pest of anything else.

"Lily beetle and its larvae feed on the leaves of lilies and fritillaries. The adult beetles are very occasionally found on other plants but lilies and fritillaries are the only plants on which eggs are laid and the grubs develop. Plants can produce a good display of flowers despite leaf damage although heavy defoliation in early summer can result in undersized bulbs developing, which may not flower next year."

I do have fritillaries, so I'll be on the lookout, thanks Nicos.
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Three more over the past few days….

Comment

Same here

Click image for larger version

Name:	LB.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	472.5 KB
ID:	2544900
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

About 8 found on my pot of fritillary, plus lots of what looked like tiny red eggs or grubs. It was strange, as the beetles were emerging from under the soil. I took some off the foliage and more kept appearing. I was looking specially after your post Nicos, so thanks.

Comment

I’ve only had 5 more in almost 3 weeks so I’m guessing that might be the lot now for that pot- well, hopefully!

will keep checking but I’m glad my post prompted you to look Baru- they do so much damage in such a short time

Comment

A quick reminder to check your lilies - mine are getting bigger - and juicier…

Comment

I'll be checking my fritillaries Nicos.

Comment

So far I’ve squished 8 in one tub. The other two tubs are still clear….so far anyway.

Comment

4 on fritillaries and 1 on lillies, I hate finding an odd number, you just know its mate is laughing at you from its hiding place!
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Maybe the single on the fritillary was sent to scout out the terrain?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X