Parsnip rot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsnip rot

Does anyone know what makes parsnips go black and woody?
    I have had one or two go like this while others in the same bed have been perfect apart from the odd fork.
    The main reason is that I would like to know if the soil will be good for another crop or not.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2043R.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	2539770
    Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

It's most probably parsnip canker, although that's a pretty severe case of it.
    https://gardening.which.co.uk/hc/en-...Parsnip-canker

Comment

The one in the link looks like the only other one I have had.
      It is odd as there has not been any parsnips grown on that part of my plot for years. There is some self seeded celery about that could spread it.

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
        The one in the link looks like the only other one I have had.
        It is odd as there has not been any parsnips grown on that part of my plot for years. There is some self seeded celery about that could spread it.
        The spores can be blown in from other infected parsnips in the area, too.

Comment

We get canker too P70 - though never had one that bad . We grow Gladiator now which are marketed as canker resistant, still get it to some degree on a few but it's usually not too bad.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I think, like carrots they are more suited to sandy soils. I once grew them in a clay soil and they had canker but also were stained brown where the clay had touched them.
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

It is not a complete failure with over three quarters if the crop being fine.
              I will see what the remainder of the bed comes up like over the next few weeks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X