Onion fly

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onion fly

Is there any treatment or method to get rid of onion fly, while writing this I have thought that possibky a flame gun might help though not 100% sure, has anyone tried this and if so did it work, or has anyone got another method to use
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Out of interest - what sort of area are you thinking of treating?

If it’s pots or a small area then I have heard of people microwaving the soil to kill off pests.
    Remember they can spread from other areas though…

"Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

It is difficult because you could treat your whole plot but one could fly over from a nearby plot in May & lay eggs next to your onions,unless you cover them with fine net?
      There are the nematodes you could buy,to water around the plants between April-July,soil needs to be at least 12 degrees
      https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk/ne...-own-nematodes

Then,if there were any maggots near the onions laid by a travelling fly,the nematodes would destroy them. Netting seems a less expensive way that I’d go,if used on an area that hasn’t grown alliums.

Comment

The area is in a raised bed and the fly has been there for the last two years, so if I tried microwaving the soil I think OH would object but I didn't know there were nematodes for them I will need to look into those
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X