Weeds in walls

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weeds in walls

Hi everybody, I'm new to hortywhatnot completely and trying to grow edible stuff in pots on my patio.

My garden is walled on rwo sides but the wall has barely any mortar left due to a viney little plant. It is growing out of all my walls, drains, through the patio and everywgere.

it has thin red stems, small leaves and tiny lilac flowers and some of it is starting to die off.

any ideas what it might be?

Luckily, I'm renting so the ladlord can get builders in when he notices it

Thanks in advance
    WRS

Could be various things. Ivy leaved toadflax or herb robert would be my first suggestions.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Sounds like it might be ivy-leaved toadflax?

https://www.first-nature.com/flowers...ia-muralis.php

(edit) Snap MH!
      Last edited by Martin H; 20-05-2020, 07:49 PM.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Thanks to you both. I'll look up a picture of it.

Should I assume roundup would do it good?

Comment

If the stems of whatever plant it is are soft, it won't be damaging the wall, just taking advantage of crevices where the mortar has decayed. I'd leave it to grow and provide more habitat for critters and creatures.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

OK thanks Mothhawk.

I'm really adept at doing nowt!

WRS

Comment

Btw, that's the stuff.

It is everywhere; under and through my house.

Comment

I’d let the landlord know because if it was my house I’d get it sorted & removed so it’s not growing through the house,it sounds damaging.

Comment

It is through the house, under the patio, growing out of the drains, everywhere, even popped out of the wall at the front where there is no garden at all.

He's trying to sell it and I think he may know about it but he should be made aware I think.

WRS

Comment

Yes he might not know it’s that bad,buyers wouldn’t be keen on seeing that if he’s selling. It sounds like it’s growing everywhere,take photos maybe,if there’s any damage to anything,you can’t be held liable,I don’t know but I’d take photos incase of anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                      I’d let the landlord know because if it was my house I’d get it sorted & removed so it’s not growing through the house,it sounds damaging.
                      If it's ivy-leaved toadflax then it won't damage anything. It's tiny, as are its roots. It's only growing in pre-existing cracks and crevices, and won't make them any larger.

If you want damaging, some houses near me have fairly sizeable buddleia bushes growing out of the first floor windowsills (in the actual brickwork). Now that's damaging.

Comment

Thanks Jane and Ameno.

It's good to know what it is and that it isn't damaging but I will Let the landlord know.

I'm looking to move though, once hibernation is over.

Comment

I used to live in a leasehold flat and had access to a concrete roof. I planted rosemary seeds taken fro a plant in a council border and some years later it self seeded into a high wall around the pub beer garden and was itself flowering.
                          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

At least rosemary is useful but I bet they were pleased!

Comment

It was about eight feet up the wall and still difficult to reach from the roof due to an unstable skylight.
                              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X