Wireworm

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireworm

I’m anxious because I came across a wireworm in our newly made veg patch, and it’s in the same bed as our potatoes.

I’ve read about potato and carrot traps, and nematodes.

Another advice?

Our DIY and sustainability journey: My Home Farm

Don't panic, I find the odd beastie in my garden, especially if I remove turf for a new patch, bugs seem to live in undisturbed ground under grass. What the birds don't eat the rest will scarper if you keep working the soil. I garden organically and don't have any infestations, I might get the odd little bit of damage, but as I don't grow for show, it isn't a problem for me.

Comment

Thanks Burnie. This is our first ever veg patch, so maybe I’m being a bit over sensitive - I’ve put in a few potato traps to see if there any more. So far, there’s been no sign.

Comment

We are waging a constant battle with nature, just keep things simple, practise crop rotation and look after the soil, let us know what your plans are and there's plenty of people to help you on here, what is your soil like, heavy clay or nice and light?

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
          We are waging a constant battle with nature, just keep things simple, practise crop rotation and look after the soil, let us know what your plans are and there's plenty of people to help you on here, what is your soil like, heavy clay or nice and light?
          The soil is nice and light.

We have eight beds and I’m planting in 50cm blocks utilizing a companion approach.

Still waiting for veg plugs from Marshalls that I paid for and ordered in March.

Comment

If your patch is newly cultivated grassland then wireworm could be a problem in potatoes. Earlies should not be too badly affected but if you have maincrop planted they could be a problem. Most crops that are relatively unaffected: courgettes, beans, peas, cabbage tribe and fruit but root crops including potatoes can be badly damages for 2 or 3 years I found. Onions and leeks only minor damage. I didn't try nematodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Riga View Post
              If your patch is newly cultivated grassland then wireworm could be a problem in potatoes. Earlies should not be too badly affected but if you have maincrop planted they could be a problem. Most crops that are relatively unaffected: courgettes, beans, peas, cabbage tribe and fruit but root crops including potatoes can be badly damages for 2 or 3 years I found. Onions and leeks only minor damage. I didn't try nematodes.
              This is my biggest fear. I’m dreading these guys!

Comment

I converted a bit of grassland to a veg plot and grew mainly peas, beans, squash, onions and such stuff for the first couple of years. I did plant a patch of potatoes when I extended it a bit being completely unaware of wireworms at that point. But when I harvested them I quickly read up on them. That was probably about 8 years ago and now I can grow anything there. After 2 years there was still a little damage but not a problem then compared to slugs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X