Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like my first earies have EARLY BLIGHT!?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like my first earies have EARLY BLIGHT!?

They still have 4 weeks of growing before their 13 weeks are up but the leaves are looking really bad now, it's only taken it a couple of days!. Think I have just identified the problem from pics on the internet as early blight, there isn't anything I can do to save them is there?
    They are Foremost potatoes. Anyway I'm going to investigate in the pots to see if there is anything worth harvesting before the blight gets too bad. Worried about my other potatoes now, and they haven't been in as long.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good blight resistant first early for next year?

Janie
    Last edited by janie; 24-05-2006, 03:01 PM.
    Sherbet, possibly the smallest rabbit in the world....

I'm really sorry janie, I hope you manage to salvage something, there are some good blight resistant ones around and I'm sure someone will be able to tell you what they are for next year
    www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Luckily all was not lost, they were in pots, so I moved them out of the way of my other potatoes before I tackled them. I emptied the five worst affected pots and got enough lovely potatoes to feed the three of us tonight and also to send a few next door for Leoni's friend.
      They were still small, most were mouthful sized, the rest teeny-tiny but that didn't matter as Leoni is only two and a half and thought thay were just perfect for her. Boiled them gently with some homegrown mint and they were georgeous! Creamy white, melt in the mouth with a lovely taste. So glad they were ok. Been looking forward to them for ages. Leoni loves picking them too, squeals of delight and lots of rushing off to show anyone who will look - she planted them with me. I have cut the diseased haulms off the remaining buckets and will use them over the next few days.

Now keeping an eye on my other pots, they are a different variety though, so hopefully.
      Janie
      xx
      Last edited by janie; 24-05-2006, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Just realised I have written "Earlies" wrong in my title, whoops!

Comment

Aw, I really wanted to grow earies

Comment

Blight resistant early potatoes include:

Amarosa, Arrow, Carlita, Florette, Home Guard, Orla (my choice) & Pomfine

If my calculations are right you planted your earlies end of March or beginning of April. If your garden is susceptible to blight I would suggest planting your potatoes in early February. By doing this you need to be carefull of frost but if blight does strike your potatoes will be of a bigger size. Also at the first signs of blight cut the stalk or haulm away from the plant and allow potato to stay in the soil untill you need them.

Foremost as a variety will normally produce high numbers of small potatoes. It is also semi resistant to slugs.
            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Glad you managed to salvage something Janie. Best to Leoni. A new gardener in the making. Keep her at it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Thanks Geordie, I have made a note of those varieties and will try the planting time next year
                Yes Leoni loves the garden, especially when she can eat what is growing (usually still covered in the soil- she's not picky!), She had all of her morning snacks from the garden last summer when she was 1 1/2 and she seems to remember as I have caught her hovering around the currant bushes, although she will have to be patient
                She has already grown carrots, radish and cress and alfalfa when it was too cold to do anything in the garden. She thinks alfalfa is very tickly to eat
                Jane
                x

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X