This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! - Cats are destroying my polytunnel

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me. Living next door to me I have the cats from hell. They have taken a liking to my raised beds and particularly my polytunnel.
    They climb up the sides and run around on the top, ripping the polythene cover as they do so. My tunnel is less than 1 year old and now has approx 40 patches on it!
    I have tried locating spikey sticks, cat repellant powder and "scardy cat" plants around the tunnel but to no avail. Short of surrounding it with an electric fence or sitting watch with a shot gun, I am running out of ideas as to what to do!!
    Any advice most welcome.

Cheers
    Jon

Hi, Jon, and welcome to the vine!

Sorry to hear about your cat problem - tricky one. Suggest you spray the ridge on the top with (say) cooking oil or similar as they won't want to walk on that. Also suggest you invest in a super soaker water gun thingy. Try to hide and splat them with it when they don;t know that it is you.

Lots of grapes have had cat problems - if you do a search in the green bar at the top, you'll find other advice...

Also, they don't like walking on foil - perhaps a temporary strip along the top?
    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM. Reason: thought of something else!

Comment

Have a quiet () word with your neighbour - explain the problem and the cost of recovering and that you tried various remedies without success. If they can't control their pets, then the electric fence is the humane option - wire it up to a car battery. Me - I would shoot the little *****rs - fill in your own blanks to suit the mood.
      PS - OBVIOUSLY i WOULDN'T SHOOT THEM (not whilst they were on the roof - the pellets might damage the polythene more than they have already)
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ah - but in your case, Rat, would the cats not be catching the inevitable mice? Pest control...?

Comment

Get a dog.

Comment

I have been told a small amount of strong amonia in bottle tops placed where the cats enter does the trick I have not done this myself as I don't have a "cat" problem.
            Anyway we have two cats ourselves.
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

Or a twelve bore will do the trick?
              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
              Brian Clough

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I will try a few of them out and let you know if I am successful.

One day victory will be mine!!
                Jon

Comment

Hazel, there aren't enough cats in Ross-shire to control the mice in my field - or the rabbits, or the pheasants, hares, partridges, pigeons......and anyway, I'm allergic to the critters.
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jon, as sewer rat says, get an electric fence, the smallest you can get will be deterrent enough for anything on four legs and they are not expensive compared to a new poly sheet. I've used mine for dogs,cats, foxes and I'm working on a system for deterring moles this winter.
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

My father recently put a black cat silhouet on his back lawn (typical small suburban garden, enclosed on all sides by shed, house and two fences) it's been there for several months and no cat has gone into the garden, probably won't be much use in big or open gardens, but might be useful in combination with other things

Carl

Comment

Originally posted by Carl View Post
                        ... but might be useful in combination with other things
                        Carl
                        Like a big gun, barbed wire and land mines??
                        Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
                        I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

We had a problem with cats pooing on our lawn!!! I thought cats were supposed to be clean animals and bury their poo, but no, big steaming piles left on the lawn every day! Tried all sorts and finally found that "silent roar" did the trick, it's granuals soaked in lion urine which you scatter around and about this seems have done the trick for 6 months or so, however discovered a cat poo this morning so it must be time for another application.
                          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Hi,

I heard they can't stand the smell of ...is it menthol....... the stuff in those deep heat sprays for sore backs. Apparently it can be sprayed on to tea bags and left in garden. Maybe it could be sprayed to part of your polytunnel or something attached to it of your choice where it can't be rained off or harm your plants.

Hope you find something that works.

Beth

Comment

Lainey - are you sure your problem is cats and not foxes? We had a similar problem, I blamed my own cat for a while thinking she was getting lazy in her old age (she's always been very fastidious) but it turned out to be a fox.

Terrier/Rat - would an electric fence work against rabbits, and how harmful would it be?

Jon - my cat hates the smell of chilli or anything similar, the minty/mentholy stuff that they're supposed to hate doesn't faze her at all - I guess it's all trial and error. Good luck, come back and let us know how you get on.
                              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X