Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cucumber mosaic virus?? Help with identification and what to do, please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cucumber mosaic virus?? Help with identification and what to do, please!

Hi,

I have some cucumbers, courgette and squash plants that have some strange leaves going on. I just wanted help with identifying what is going on with them. I will attach photos for you to see.

Basically the courgettes (shooting star - yellow) have yellow patches and some leaves just have a couple of yellow spots, the plant seems to bve growing well however.

The cucmbers, an outdoor variety can't remember name right now, have leaves which are curling downwards and sort of in on themselves. A couple of my Atena polka courgettes have same thing with their leaves which made me wonder if it was caused by the hot weather of the last couple of weeks and too much sun?

And the squash (jumbo pink banana squash) also have some yellow patches, only on one leaf on one of my plants - looks similar to the patches on the courgette plants, which again is only on a couple of lower leaves, not all - new growth looks fine.

I am a bit worried that it could be cucumber mosaic virus!

I would be really grateful if you could help me identify what it is from the pictures and descriptions I have given.

Any advice is much appreciated. Pictures attached below.
    Attached Files

Yellow courgettes will often have yellow patches on the leaves. It's nothing to worry about.
    As for the others, I would say either cold nights or a mild nutrient deficiency caused that. Nothing to worry too much about, and they should recover fine.
    The deformed cucumber leaf is probably caused by scarring at an early stage. The scar tissue can't expand properly as the leaf grows, so the leaf ends up twisted.

Comment

Hi Colonel,
      I agree with everything Ameno has said about your plants - basically diseases such as mosaic and deficiency problems usually occur later in the season, if at all. This time of year in the UK cold weather is a usual suspect and some sort of mechanical injury to a young plant is also a frequent problem. As long as your plants are throwing up healthy new leaves they should grow past these early problems easily enough.

Do watch out and try to protect them from slugs and snails though if you are going to be planting them out in the garden as one good munch, and they're gone. Either grow them on until they are bigger in pots before planting or use something to keep the beasties away - I usually use wood ash around the stems.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, it's only my second year of growing so it's good to have advice from more experienced gardeners.
        I sometimes have difficulty identifying some of the problems with plants and wading through all the different and sometimes conflicting info thats out there. This platform is really useful especially at the present time when I can't go to someone to ask.
        Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated.
        Happy Sunday

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, it's only my second year of growing so it's good to have advice from more experienced gardeners.
          I sometimes have difficulty identifying some of the problems with plants and wading through all the different and sometimes conflicting info thats out there. This platform is really useful especially at the present time when I can't go to someone to ask.
          Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated.
          Happy Sunday

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X