Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose bush problem.

Hi all.

Can anyone help me. Bought a rose bush last year that is now growing, but has black marks on some of the leaves. Any idea what is is and what to do about it?

black spot. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=270 I never use to treat mine it didn't affect the flowers and didn't seem to weaken the plants. However my MiL companion plants hers with garlic which works most years.

Comment

Perhaps depends which rose it is how badly it's affected. I had one which was practically leafless every year by the end of the summer.

In the meantime Ali, I'd remove the leaves with black spot,and pick up any fallen leaves as they may also be infected. Put them in the bin rather than the compost bin.

A spray now with fungus fighter would not go amiss, then again in a couple of weeks. A good feed now and again will help strengthen the bush.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
        Perhaps depends which rose it is how badly it's affected. I had one which was practically leafless every year by the end of the summer.

In the meantime Ali, I'd remove the leaves with black spot,and pick up any fallen leaves as they may also be infected. Put them in the bin rather than the compost bin.

A spray now with fungus fighter would not go amiss, then again in a couple of weeks. A good feed now and again will help strengthen the bush.
        Thank you.
        Any recommendations as to a good fungicide. Would like to use an organic product if possible!

Comment

Same as Babru. I had black spot on my standards one year. They looked sad, and didn't repeat flower.

Have you pruned it? You shouldn't leave last years leaves on as this encourages it.

Comment

Sorry, mine is just a common or garden fungal spray, which I doubt is organic. Maybe someone else will have a recommendation. The general idea though, for roses as other plants, is to keep them as strong and happy as possible, so they are able to fight off pests and diseases.

Sadly though, some roses are a martyr to blackspot, so it may depend on the variety what you can get away with. Do you know the name of your rose?
            Last edited by Babru; 06-04-2020, 06:57 PM.

Comment

I dont use sprays anymore I'm trying the feeding and Epsom salts route.
              Northern England.

Comment

In recent years the big growers have been developing much healthier roses that are fine without chemicals. The same can't be said of some of the older varieties unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                  Sorry, mine is just a common or garden fungal spray, which I doubt is organic. Maybe someone else will have a recommendation. The general idea though, for roses as other plants, is to keep them as strong and happy as possible, so they are able to fight off pests and diseases.

Sadly though, some roses are a martyr to blackspot, so it may depend on the variety what you can get away with. Do you know the name of your rose?
                  The rose came from David Austin Roses, and is called 'Jubilee Celebration'. It seems otherwise healthy, but as I have never grown roses before, want to do the best I can for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    Same as Babru. I had black spot on my standards one year. They looked sad, and didn't repeat flower.

Have you pruned it? You shouldn't leave last years leaves on as this encourages it.
                    I have puned it, but took all the cuttings etc away from it. It did seem to overwinter with some leaves on it. Not sure if they are the ones affected, but could be. I have taken off the worst, but think I will have to resort to spraying it soon, as it is on some of the other leaves now!

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                      I dont use sprays anymore I'm trying the feeding and Epsom salts route.
                      THat sounds interesting. Can you give me more details please?

Comment

I read epsom salts are good for them. Gives them a.boost .
                        I use rose feed too.
                        My Rose's havnt bloomed as I would.like and after reading that I'm.giving it a go.
                        Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X