Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s eating my onion tops?

Hello
    I’ve got lots of onions, shallots and garlic planted at the allotment complete with a net covered frame over them. Somehow something is eating the tops of some.
    I can’t see any way in but I presume they might be able to wriggle underneath ?

Is it mice?

I have had onions munched by mice when in storage but never known them to eat the tops. However, when hungry most wild beasties will eat anything to survive over the winter months and that includes green tops on onions and garlic. Could also be slug or snail damage of course.

Comment

I think it might be slugs or tiny snails,you could put a little beer in an container sunk in the ground with an inch of rim above ground incase an insect falls in,put a couple of stones around to balance a roof incase it rains,the next day there should be slugs in there.

Comment

Probably those tiny pesky snails.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

PIGEONS...

The Birds....

Comment

Originally posted by Swag View Post
            Hello
            I’ve got lots of onions, shallots and garlic planted at the allotment complete with a net covered frame over them. Somehow something is eating the tops of some.
            I can’t see any way in but I presume they might be able to wriggle underneath ?

Is it mice?
            Originally posted by no_akira View Post
            PIGEONS...

The Birds....
            Those dratted wriggling pigeons!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X