Gambling against the frost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gambling against the frost

Our first frost date is only a few days from now, but the forecast is for temps over 7 overnight all week and last week we didn't get a proper frost here until mid November - I was practically salivating for my parsnips by the time I could pull them. I've not got much that needs bringing in or covering up, I should probably just do it now. I've a handful of toms out there which have mostly ripened after the great week we've just had, but will probably not all quite get there. I'm looking forward to the frosts. I love them, even if they make gardening difficult.

I too love the frosts too in the garden/plot
    Don't like pulling up slimy nasturtiums etc though!

I keep looking at my red pelargoniums ( I used to call them geraniums - but now know better!!!) their leaves are staring to show colour changes due to the cold nights- but they are flowering profusely!
    They always seem to look their best just before the first frosts!

Our last allotment was very peaty and you could easily weed when it was very frost by just lifting the frozen layer of soil up like a board and inverting it in a pile to rot down!!!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oh I like that, nice easy weeding. Super jealous. I think a lot in the garden looks great at this time of year. The evening and early morning light makes everything look prettier.

Comment

My nasturtiums have self seeded from this years seeds!!! Lots of fresh , young green leaves and flowers- they look better than the first lot!
        Just hope there are enough which haven't germinated so we get a decent showing next year!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've had a few things start germinating again recently. Fingers crossed we'll have plenty of seed left.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X