Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did your barometer record Tonga eruption?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did your barometer record Tonga eruption?

The shock-wave from the Tonga eruption swept across UK last evening and was detected in several places. Check your barometer trace around 1900Z - 2000Z yesterday 15th
    Below is the one for here:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tonga1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2539731

An a few more on Twitter at https://twitter.com/metoffice/status...93376201117697
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Oh!….that’s interesting! Nice one.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

its a terrible thing that happened. As you may know I'm a Rugby nut and the Leicester Tigers were playing in Ireland yesterday ( great game) and one of our team is Tongan and he had been trying all day to find out if his family and freinds were OK but he still went out there and played for us and scored the winning try in the 79th minute ... it was almost meant to be .

We think we are all powerful but Nature trumps us every time
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

We think we are all powerful but Nature trumps us every time
        Absolutely .
        I think as gardeners we are probably more aware than others of how the power of Mother Nature affects us just on the basic day to day stuff.
        Throw in a volcano , mud slides, tsunami etc and it all becomes incredibly humbling.

I hope his family were safe and not too badly affected .

Comment

nick the grief 's post has left me chastened. I was looking at the eruption as an interesting physical event, overlooking the fact that it was - is - a human tragedy.
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Still very interesting though Q.

Comment

I had a look on our local high quality on line home weather station and sure enough there is a couple of steps in the readings.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Barometer.png
Views:	110
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	2539754
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

That looks like it Plot70 - a tad earlier than here. I guess it traveled north across the Pacific, over the pole then south across UK. Over sea most of the way so very little friction.
                [edit] Just noticed it also shows another anomaly just before 0200. We have that too. Maybe the shock-wave arriving by a longer route.
                Last edited by quanglewangle; 16-01-2022, 05:42 PM.

Comment

It is difficult to tell if the pressure change travelled through the air or water. What can be seen is a series of small variations followed by the big drop.
                  Perhaps the waves travelled around the world in both directions and met up over UK.
                  It looks like there were two big blasts of earth vomit that showed up as two sharp dips in the record.
                  If you follow the URL at the top of the screen shot the owner of the weather station does answer via contact us after a day or two if you are interested in getting an HD shot of the graph if he keeps them long enough. He answered a message from me about a curious looking cloud I spotted.

Comment

They have just reported another eruption.
                    Lets see if it can be seen on our weather stations too.

Comment

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                      nick the grief 's post has left me chastened. I was looking at the eruption as an interesting physical event, overlooking the fact that it was - is - a human tragedy.
                      QW ... It wasn't meant to honestly. Yes these things are fascinating the only reason I notices was I saw an interview with one of the leicester players who is a Tongan.

I came across this clip on you tube that shows footage of the blast ...

ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post

QW ... It wasn't meant to honestly....
                        I didn't suspect for a moment that was your intention but it was thoughtful of you to reassure me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X