Bit of a blow coming...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a blow coming...

Met office calling full gale, steady 38kt, Friday and Saturday. From the north, which is unusual here and means we won't get the shelter of the Carn to the Southwest.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Thanks for the heads-up Q. Will batten down the hatches..
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

It does look like its going to be rough.
      Last edited by Bren In Pots; 25-11-2021, 12:23 PM.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

For here in the islands off the north coast of Scotland, the Met Office is forecasting winds of up to 75 mph - just into Beaufort force 12/hurricane. The schools are all closing at 1 pm so the bairns can be home well before the storm is expected to reach its peak at 3 pm. The bus services are likely to be suspended (risk of blowing over) and some of tomorrow's ferries have already been cancelled. Power cuts are likely in this kind of weather so I'm glad I bought new batteries last weekend and put them into the emergency lights I keep in every room of the house. Before I go to work in the morning, I must remember to nip out and move some pots to shelter and weigh down anything likely to blow away!

Comment

Take care folks.
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

You too ‘Q’
            sigpic

Comment

Take care PP!!
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you. The wind doesn't get to force 12 very often each winter but it's regular enough that we all know what to do to prepare for it and nobody will risk going outside during the worst part of the storm. I'm hoping it dies down to below force 10 by bedtime as it's quite difficult to sleep with the noise of the wind howling and the roof tiles flapping. I'm not expecting to see any flowers left on the plants in the front garden come Saturday morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                  You too ‘Q’
                  Thanks but we are only expecting Beaufort 8, not 10 or 12 like Purple Primrose !

And energy content of wind rises as cube of velocity. Ie double speed, eight times energy!
                  http://xn--drmstrre-64ad.dk/wp-conte...s/enrspeed.htm
                  Last edited by quanglewangle; 26-11-2021, 07:31 AM. Reason: Added link about wind energy

Comment

The winds getting up our windsocks taking a bit of a battering.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Golly gosh, guys. Hang on in there. Good luck, PP.

Comment

Thanks, SP. The wind's a bit loud at the moment and set to continue like this till 9 am on Saturday. Earlier this afternoon, the local council sent out a message advising everyone to 'Stay home if you are able.' With all the rain/hail/sleet along with the high winds, nobody's wanting to be out and about - there's only been 1 car going past the house in the last couple of hours. It's nice and cosy in here though.

Comment

SITREP: mostly gone from here now. No damage.

My wind guage is broken but I don't think we went much over 7.

Comment

I need to remake my bubble wrap greenhouse,the bamboo sticks didn’t hold up against the wind & it looks a bit collapsed but still covered,so not an emergency because it’s raining,I can’t take it apart yet,everything would get wet. It’s still quite windy out there now,is storm Arwen still hanging around?
                            Last edited by Jungle Jane; 27-11-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

I just read this -
                              “Storm Arwen will continue to move southwards and weaken before decaying across northern France later on Saturday. A new low centre has formed over the Netherlands helping maintain strong winds along east England overnight into Sunday before this too weakens.”
                              https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-u...rting-to-abate

Nice that it’s going to rot over France is it supposed to say that,I feel like I don’t know what words mean anymore

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X