Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had 5C a couple of nights ago and couldn’t see any actual signs of frost .

Yesterday I noticed the Swiss chard has collapsed and the nasturtiums are looking rather sad.
    I always think of the nasturtiums as the first indicators of frost for me.

So not a true first night of frost - but cold enough to have a negative impact on some plants.
    Anyone else had frost yet?
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm zone 13 on that map (1st-10th Dec) last year my first frost was 3rd November. This week we've had two 4c nights.
      Still not put the heating on, but I have got my furry blanket out!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Not yet, but the end of the week is looking like a small possibility. Could be around 2-3 ºC. Then temperatures rise again. I'll cover up the squash plants with fleece in a few days as the daytime temperatures are still good.

Comment

Still looking wet, not too cold and just generally miserable here. I'll just wait and see but now given up hope with the figs.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
            Still looking wet, not too cold and just generally miserable here. I'll just wait and see but now given up hope with the figs.
            Like that here too. Still in double figures but you wouldn't think so if you go out.
            Last edited by quanglewangle; 03-10-2021, 08:20 AM.
            I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

I am pretty sure the tree will make up its own mind and either drop them or save them depending on how much sugar they have got in them to act as antifreeze.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

No frosts here yet. My coldest night has been 7c, I think. And it seems things are warming up next week, which is good as I have lots more fruit on my peppers and tomatoes to ripen, and I'm hoping to squeeze a little more growth out of my sweet potato plants, too. Slightly warmer (and certainly dryer) weather should benefit my beans for drying and shelling, too, as they'll mature and dry on the plant better.

Comment

Lowest here so far about 11°C Always around sunrise.

Keeping an eye on the weather because we're having our roof replaced at present. Don't want it too good or roofers go off surfing!
                  I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

Our coldest this season has been 6c thats in the GH.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Woke up to our first proper frost this morning, all over the car windscreen. A few days earlier than usual.

Comment

Looks like you are officially the first then Snoop.

Having said that , we had 5C last night and 90% of my nasturtiums are mush .Not actually seen any actual frost though…

Comment

2.8C here last night but no sign of actual frost. Everything is still standing.
                          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

First heavy frost - white on the roof slates.

Comment

No frost yet where I live, which is up hill from my allotment. There must have been a frost at the allotment about a week ago as all my Dahlia,Squash and Courgettes wee blackened. The annoying thing is we have had some nice warm days recently which would have allowed the courgettes in particular to keep on giving. Cold yesterday and today but still reluctant to cast off my shorts yet!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

First signs of frost for me this morning - nothing too bad yet, here's hoping it continues for a little while yet!
                                "Bulb: potential flower buried in Autumn, never to be seen again."
                                - Henry Beard

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X