X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadalot
    replied
    Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    Pringles tubes - cut them in two or three. Stand in a tray and use them as bottomless pots for large seed i.e sunflower, sweet peas or runner beans. Then plant the whole thing out when established.
    Never thought of that they would be ideal for sweetcorn, we just don't eat enough of them to make it viable
    Last edited by Cadalot; 10-01-2017, 09:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Pringles tubes - cut them in two or three. Stand in a tray and use them as bottomless pots for large seed i.e sunflower, sweet peas or runner beans. Then plant the whole thing out when established.

Leave a comment:

• Cadalot
    replied
    Originally posted by Teabag View Post
    What can I do with the pringles tubes?
    The lids are ideal for drying out your saved tomato seeds, once you have got the gunk off by soaking them in the KFC Gravy and Baked Bean containers that you have also saved and are ideal for the fermenting process.

I have also saved the plastic lids off the large tins of peanuts and gravy granules as SWMBO gets the hump when I use her saucers and plates for the job.
    Last edited by Cadalot; 10-01-2017, 07:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teabag
    replied
    Just read through it all too, awesome thread! Just bin dived (yes at half 12 in the night) and salvaged a 4 pinter, jam jar, quality street tub, 2 kitchen roll inners and 2 pringles tubes

What can I do with the pringles tubes?

Leave a comment:

• hcmtm
    replied
    Great thread!!!

Just read from beginning to end and feel the need to bump it into our new season of growing so that we can be as DIY and eco as possible...Happy New Year!

Leave a comment:

• Sappidis
    replied
    Those of you that own fish tanks, use the water from there to water your plants. It's packed full of nutrients and is forever replenishable.

Leave a comment:

• ESBkevin
    replied
    Those plastic tubs you get oxidising laundry helper in. They are firm and have a plastic screw on lid. Ideal for sealing in seeds for overwinter storage.

Leave a comment:

• Cadalot
    replied
    Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    Sorry Cad hope you don't mind, but had to share this one as both my girls love them.
    Not at all, at least I know someone is reading my diary/blog. The later ones I made that had a twisted open fans worked better, not sure I have a photo of that type, I will have to dig around the archives.
    Last edited by Cadalot; 03-05-2016, 10:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Pop bottle windmill/spinner

Sorry Cad hope you don't mind, but had to share this one as both my girls love them.
    Alans Allotment: Tuesday 25th June 2013

Attached Files
    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 03-05-2016, 07:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Containergardener
    replied
    Some good ideas here.
    I use loo rolls for sweet peas , mushroom trays for radish/salad, grapes/tomato plastic tubs for sowing seeds, polystyrene in pots for drainage..although we gets loads so the idea of in a high raised bed I like, card we have loads of which goes to recycling for animal bedding and pallets I need to make more use of, currently screening off 'messy zone' by greenhouse and raising staging, compost off the ground there too.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    ^^^^ fantastic!
    Brill idea
    Well done.

Leave a comment:

• Cadalot
    replied
    I thought this was an appropriate location for my modified Self Watering Pop Bottle Propagator

Leave a comment:

• 4390evans
    replied
    Coke bottles are ideal for making into a closh just remove lid and saw off the base, you will be able to see a actuall ring/crease around the bottom, thats where to saw. They are stronger than cheap pop bottles.

Old book cases, bed side drawers, chester drawers could be used to make bug hotels

Coffee grounds for acidic plants, just mix into soil.

We drink bottled water so use the massive bottles we get the water in for rain water. Because I have a bent bit of guttering that comes off the neighbours out house we get loads so I re fill and leave a few in the greenhouse to heat up for the seedlings.

Polystyrene is the bane of my life but now I use it in the bottom of large pots to save on compost, it can also be used whenbuilding high raised beds it will help them heat up quicker as well as saving on compost/ soil.

I also use the lumpy bits of compost you get after sifting for my potatoes that are in pots, along with all the bits I sweep up.

Space saveing is that one? Well i use the parcel shelf in the car to start off seeds when i have no room.
    Last edited by 4390evans; 22-03-2016, 07:57 AM. Reason: Update

Leave a comment:

• vixylix
    replied
    Love it - they look like totem poles!

Leave a comment:

• Lumpy
    replied
    OK as I am always skint I thought I would share with the whole world my D.I.Y plant labels.

Bits needed are-
    old canes
    permanent marker
    tape
    old milk bottles

Der Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse