Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lottieguy
    replied
    Hi Ya, Good to hear the advice. I have found out by default that the more costly membrane is best as I have tried some cheaper stuff but it went to ribbons in a week. I have followed advice and invested in some more expensive stuff now. I was going to go no dig but the amount of compost you need is way out of my scope so will use the stuff I make and use the membrane. Thanks for all your tips and keep them coming thank you all

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    My new garden (2 years now) had really good quality weed membrane under slate chips (last owner wasn't fond of plants). It had been down for 14 years, but I have been able to reuse it under paths between new flower and fruit beds. In the past I've found the really cheap stuff to be a false economy, doesn't last, so what's the point of it!

Leave a comment:

• Thelma Sanders
    replied
    I have Yuzet weed membrane (some of which is 10 yrs old) with holes cut to suit the bed size and the crop that will go there. When I lift the membrane, I add compost/natural fertilizer use a 3 prong cultivator over the bed to work that in and then recover.

It's working ok for me - except on the very heavy clay at the top of the plot - that still needs loosening with the fork each year, covering with compost and cardboard before laying the membrane for the courgettes and squash/pumpkins that grow there. If I don't loosen it during the wet winter months, it is like concrete come summer
    My back (and my wallet) won't let me move enough manure/compost to improve the soil in one hit (a la Charles Dowding) Hopefully in the long-term it will improve..

Leave a comment:

• ESBkevin
    replied
    Full on No dig (as per Charles Dowding) can be done with no membrane, but requires quite a lot of 'compost' so moving all that can be daunting if your mobility is reduced. The amount of weeding becomes very small and easy to pull.

Leave a comment:

• Baldy
    replied
    I inherited quite a lot of the stuff and use it along with cardboard as the main weed suppresant material for no-dig. I find it works quite well.
    One tip would be to use heat to 'cut' it up. If you just use knife/scissors you will find it frays like nobody's business.

Leave a comment:

• lottieguy
    started a topic Weed membrane

Weed membrane

Hi Ya, Due to medical disability digging of my plot and kneeling is very limited. I am toying with the idea of a mostly no dig scenario and using weed membrane. Does anyone else use this at all? Any advice/tips would be most welcome. Cheers

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X