Advice on making a Wildlife habitat

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on making a Wildlife habitat

As soon as we started planting out in the school garden, we realised that the children were totally fascinated by the worms, bugs and beetles that they found around the plot.

So after some skip diving and cadging, I have a stack of 8 wooden pallets.

I am hoping to make one of these with them.

Just wondering what I need to collect over the next few weeks to fill it - and to ask the kids to bring in! Any ideas what I need to put on the list and which creature it is aimed to house?

I was thinking of getting the children to make labels for each part along with the material - such as 'Hedgehog Heaven' 'Toad Hall' 'Ladybird Lodge' etc so they know what we are trying to attract to the habitat.

So what do I need to put on the skip diving list next?
    Last edited by Jeanied; 07-08-2012, 09:51 AM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

All the stuff that's in that wonderful picture Jeanie.

Comment

I know that picture is great - I also sent it to the teacher who is my partner in crime!
      The trouble is, we have some youngsters who will want chapter and verse on each part of the construction!

What is this for? What do they look like, what good do they do in the garden and what bit of the habitat are they going to live in? I can hear them now...

Comment

Thanks for the link! Great picture. Cant add anything to that

Comment

My starter for 10 is to find some corrugated cardboard to roll up, stuff in a bottomless pop bottle and place about half way up for a Lacewing Lair. I want the kids to invent the names though - a good activity for a wet garden club session!

Comment

Here's your "Skipping List" Jeanie The RSPB: Advice: Build a wildlife stack

Comment

I wonder if we can persuade slow worms to move in... I have them on the allotment two miles away but they can't be moved.

Comment

Whey hey - things are shaping up now - the stack of building materials and other stuff is growing larger.
                So far I have sourced - via skips and freecycle
                8 pallets
                a bag of sand
                some square drainpipe
                some black flexible round pipe
                loads of bricks

and two kiddie sized garden chairs - for sitting and observing in!
                The next things on the list will be - old canes, hollow stems / drinking straws and also dry leaves, moss and straw.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X