Preparing the soil of raised beds...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenfingers2014,
    Look at my post under undercover operations : Shadehouse repaired and better.

I have planted for years in my three permanent beds with sunken concrete panels of 12 inches deep. I dug three inches of manure or compost in annually and get very good results. I have sandy soil that is extremely fatty. It was a huge effort to get it wet in the first time every season or if you let it get dry.

I have now added 8 inches of timber above the soil and filled it with mushroom compost (the best price and weed seeds free option available). This i dug in with a 12 inch long spade. So my mix is now 1 part of soil and two parts of compost, 12 inches deep and below that my old mix for a further few inches and thereafter the subsoil. This mix must now get alive with worms and bio organisms but it retains water very wel in our climate, it is 500% not fatty and it warms up quickly every day, extending temerature wise my grow day with at least two hours.

With this 8 inches of timber and the 4 inches of mix below soil level is more than enough for what I need and I do not need deeper timber sides as it will cost an arm and a leg. Twelve inches will be even better if you can afford a proper mix. I believe ark soil will heat up early in your colder climate.

After I have wetted my soil just to prevent wind blowing anything away, after 24 hours (at 19h10) it was still warm and damp.
    I made this mix for some time in containers and cannot control the tempo of growth of my tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers. So I decided to use the same mix in my beds.
    Regards

Johan

Comment

That bag of topsoil you have leftover is asking to be planted with spuds.
      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X