No announcement yet.

Preparing the soil of raised beds...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found this which may be of help.........they line the inside walls but don't bury the polythene, I would play safe though & bury the polythene a few inches..

http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/f...inal_Nov08.pdf
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Here's an earlier thread about railway sleepers that may help - or confuse you more!! http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ers_29294.html
      I'm sure there are other threads about them too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        Ok, option 2..............dig a 1/4" wide channel (the width of your spade) 9" deep all round the inside of the bed and push the polythene into the channel and up the inside walls............we'll get there............
        This sounds much more achievable than re emptying the whole bed!!! Thank you for the link, it's helped me visual what you mean. This may be a silly question, but if I only line to say 9", and my beds are more like 25", couldn't the toxins seep into the soil below the polythene and work there way into the top 9" of soil?

Comment

I don't know is the honest answer, the walls should have been lined before filling the beds which I am assuming you have already done (filled them). May I ask why they are so deep as unless you are growing specimen Parsnips, most veg will grow in 6"-9" of soil.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I don't know is the honest answer, the walls should have been lined before filling the beds which I am assuming you have already done (filled them). May I ask why they are so deep as unless you are growing specimen Parsnips, most veg will grow in 6"-9" of soil.
            Two reasons really. They were constructed by a non-gardener who liked the look of them with two layers of sleepers...I do too now they are done. The other reason is a lack of research...I didn't realise it would make too much of a difference.

However today I have done as you recommended...dug a channel around each side and fed the polythene in. I've managed to dig right down and tuck the polythene under the bottom of the bottom sleeper...hurrah!!!

Now just to decide how to get rid of a huge sack of topsoil!!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Hope you & your missus feel a lot easier in your own minds cos that's what counts at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by greenfingers2014 View Post
                Now just to decide how to get rid of a huge sack of topsoil!!!
                Build a raised bed around it Seriously, hang on to it, you'll probably need to top up your beds once the soil settles.

Comment

Hope you & your missus feel a lot easier in your own minds cos that's what counts at the end of the day.
                  Me and my missus?!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Build a raised bed around it Seriously, hang on to it, you'll probably need to top up your beds once the soil settles.
                    Even this quantity!!!!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that won't go very far in a thick layer.

Comment

Me and my missus?!
                        Apologies........I thought I read that your missus was worried about the leaching........I must have dreamt it..............

Comment

GF2014 I have a raised beds higher than the ones you are making made from old scaffold boards which could have been contaminated so I constructed my raised bed on a old greenhouse concrete base before filling I lined the inside of the raised bed with heavy duty polythene, this served two purposes kept any chemicals away from the soil and kept the soil away from the boards and avoided the rotting too quick they have been up five years and I am, now finding that heavy duty poly holds the soil well, and have never had any problem with saturated soil and we have a high rain fall in this area
                          F.U.I. I pressure washed the boards before I used them
                          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Apologies........I thought I read that your missus was worried about the leaching........I must have dreamt it..............
                            Haha...I thought the intensity of the bed digging had frazzled my brain!!!! Thanks for all your info!

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                              GF2014 I have a raised beds higher than the ones you are making made from old scaffold boards which could have been contaminated so I constructed my raised bed on a old greenhouse concrete base before filling I lined the inside of the raised bed with heavy duty polythene, this served two purposes kept any chemicals away from the soil and kept the soil away from the boards and avoided the rotting too quick they have been up five years and I am, now finding that heavy duty poly holds the soil well, and have never had any problem with saturated soil and we have a high rain fall in this area
                              F.U.I. I pressure washed the boards before I used them
                              Thanks for the information - its pleasing to hear a success story as I was beginning to worry that my plans were going to fail! Can i ask you what you filled your beds with? At the moment mine are just filled with topsoil (full of worms so im hoping its got some goodness in there!). I do want to improve its condition though as much as possible...

Comment

Can i ask you what you filled your beds with? At the moment mine are just filled with topsoil (full of worms so im hoping its got some goodness in there!). I do want to improve its condition though as much as possible...
                                If your soil is full of worms I would not worry too much about the quality. When I filled my raised beds I tried to get the poorest soil at the base then as much compost-able material, that was fresh hedge trimmings weeds kitchen waste etc., as I could get on top of that, I topped it of with soil and sand mix as I did not have sufficient soil to top it up some of the sand was builders concrete sand and some burn sand (that`s river sand in case you are wondering) as the the season progressed the level dropped due to settlement and the material decomposing, the top soil depth was about 16ins. and has been topped up every year with the material from my hanging baskets and garden compost. Hope this helps, and if you fancy trying something in the garden, do it or you will never know whither you were right or wrong
                                Last edited by rary; 22-01-2014, 12:14 AM.
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X