what gives more to the garden

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what gives more to the garden

Today I collected several bags of seaweed for the garden and after bringing it home was told to ensure that there was no trace or smell of it in the car, and it got me wondering, if I was brave enough to put the same amount of horse/cow manure into the car what would be the most beneficial to the garden, seaweed or manure?
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

In terms of improving the soil I shouldn't think there is much between the two. But there's no weed seeds in seaweed, so if I had a ready supply I'd use it.

I wonder if anyone here has done an actual comparison?
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

According to: NPK Values • HelpfulGardener.com the NPK values are:

Seaweed (dried): 1.1-1.5/0.75/4.9 (Seaweed is loaded with micronutrients including: Boron, Iodine, Magnesium and so on.)
      Seaweed (fresh): 0.2-0.4/0/0

Horse Manure (fresh): 0.44/0.35/0.3
      However I've read that Horse Manure varies a lot and I suspect this depends how long it sits on the pile!

Seaweed is full of micronutrients. If your soil is deficient then it will be beneficial.

Neither are necessarily wonderful fertilisers. Both are good soil conditioners.

If you can get well rotted then it should have no smell...

Comment

I live 3 minutes away from the sea shore, I never use the stuff on account of the danger of some nasty creature jumping out at me.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I've got an open ute on the farm, but picking up all that horse poo - too labour intensive. Plus I keep thinking the paddocks need it as much as the garden, if not more.
          So I pick up a small amount, pop it into a hession bag and then into a water barrel and make manure tea for the garden and let the paddocks have the remainder.
          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

If you bought yourself a small trailer you could bring as much as you liked home of either without getting the car smelly.
            "...Very dark, is the other side, very dark."

"Shut up, Yoda. Just eat your toast."

Comment

This started me wondering, I catch a lot of mackerel when I go fishing, If I popped a dead one under each plant it would provide meat, blood and bone plus heat as it decomposes, also if i left the head and tails sticking out my plot would look like a giant Cornish fish pie.
              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                This started me wondering, I catch a lot of mackerel when I go fishing, If I popped a dead one under each plant it would provide meat, blood and bone plus heat as it decomposes, also if i left the head and tails sticking out my plot would look like a giant Cornish fish pie.
                And every cat and fox for miles would come and have a dig.

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                  And every cat and fox for miles would come and have a dig.
                  Put the mackerel under the spuds - voila - self dug tatties
                  Last edited by george356; 23-03-2014, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feral007 View Post
                    I've got an open ute on the farm, but picking up all that horse poo - too labour intensive. Plus I keep thinking the paddocks need it as much as the garden, if not more ...
                    You should be ashamed of yourself! Dung removal is essential in the fight against intestinal worms in horses, as well you know, you naught girl. Just bunging them full of nasty poisonous chemicals every three months is no good, as they build up a resistance, and stop having any beneficial effect. You get a big slap from me!

Edited to add, I wasn't being rude, I'm just surprised, and fully aware you do things differently down-under.
                    Last edited by Glutton4...; 23-03-2014, 09:41 PM.
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I saw a tv programme recently about bears in Canada fishing salmon out of the rivers. Apparently they bury a lot when there's a glut and obviously a lot gets forgotten about so it rots down and feeds the trees and shrubs etc. They did a test on the trees there and all the plants were full of beneficial chemicals that are only found in the sea.

Comment

I would think that seaweed in the car would pong less than manure
                        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I used to put a lot of prawn waste into my garden when my wife worked at the prawn factory years ago , and it was excellent ,

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                            You should be ashamed of yourself! Dung removal is essential in the fight against intestinal worms in horses, as well you know, you naught girl. Just bunging them full of nasty poisonous chemicals every three months is no good, as they build up a resistance, and stop having any beneficial effect. You get a big slap from me!

Edited to add, I wasn't being rude, I'm just surprised, and fully aware you do things differently down-under.
                            Well totally missed this one G4! Nah, we don't pick it up here.
                            We've got over 90 acres and there is plenty of ground for the manure to decompose and the worms and others to die a natural death. It's only if you're grazing a lot of animals over the same ground all the time you have to worry.
                            Or if you're selling the stuff and have to bag it.
                            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X