Shells etc

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shells etc

Hi all - i eat alot of mussells and oysters and am wondering how i can recycle the shells?
    I have been using them on new pathways as the crush up nicely etc but am wondering if i could/should include some into my compost bins (after washing them!) i'm sure they are a wonderful source of minerals - does anyone know what they are made of (calcium carbonate?), how they would benefit the soil/compost and is there a particularly useful way of using them to benefit plants? (eg fruit/veg/whatever!) also - if i do use them, would i need to balance a mix up by adding something else so they are not only partially beneficial (if that makes sense?)
    Thanks all!
    Last edited by billbradshaw; 27-04-2009, 03:23 PM.

I'm using oyster shell grit (chicken grit) as a barrier defence against slugs - experimental at the moment but they don't like sharp stuff so who knows
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X