X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^Thanks I will do that
    Northern England.

Comment

I have just emptied my dalek (well, dug out the compost). Our mower broke last year, and we we did no mow may (before the mower broke). It' probably only had one or two loads of grass in over the whole year, still had good compost out. And so many worms... So I shouldn't worry about a shortage of grass clippings

Comment

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
        No. Plenty native trees, shrubs, weeds but will not put elder , brambles or nettles in .
        Maybe I need to bring clippings from mums garden?
        Why not get a shredder. All shrub prunings, including roses, berberis, hawthorn laurel and brambles go through it and I get good results.

Only kitchen waste and shredded paper goes in dalek which is full of worms.
        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

We have one. We shred then add.
          Northern England.

Comment

Charles Dowding of No Dig turns his once. I visted his site this weekend and saw a range of compost containers and great compost making . I'm using pallets and Daleks . Lots of free informationf on his youtube site

Comment

Originally posted by suellapostles@gmail.com View Post
              Charles Dowding of No Dig turns his once. I visted his site this weekend and saw a range of compost containers and great compost making . I'm using pallets and Daleks . Lots of free informationf on his youtube site
              Hi Suella and welcome to the forum - from a fellow no-digger and avid compost maker
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Hello and welcome, Suella.

Comment

Don't think we will get grass clippings for a long time - everything is parched.
                  but there seems to be much chat on various forums about grass clippings for mulch and making good compost.
                  We do get a lot of beech (mainly) leaves and I'm planning to collect alot in the autumn and leave in bags. I got some last autumn and forgot about them and came across the bags recently to my delight as making a new bed - they had composted down enough to use as a mulch. Motivated me to repeat.
                  I have moved away from cow manure which is what my allotment committee buy in from an organic farmer - it ends up like concrete if it goes on as a mulch. My hens help out abit - they have a bit of bedding which is good for compost but they free range all day so they spread their contributions around!!

Comment

I have started adding all my garden waste straight onto the soil, in the past I used most of my grass cuttings as a mulch around my rhubarb or roses as well as in between my onions, though I did add some to the compost occasionally, I shredd any branches, then spread it over the top of my veg beds, along with any grass cuttings and weeds, if there are any dandelions with roots I place them so that the roots can be dried out by the sun, the compost bin is now used for kitchen waste and cardboard
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X