No announcement yet.

What type of compost bin do you use?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use the dalek type, but we have several and keep adding stuff for a couple of months before starting a fresh one, and we never take compost from the bottom, we simply wait until the whole lot is ready then lift the bin off. They work OK, especially if you buy a mixing tool, which allows you to fluff up the compost, effectively turning it and allowing air in. The one advantage to this system is that I always have compost ready.
    Last edited by bluemoon; 10-08-2008, 11:46 AM.
    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I have a wooden box made from re-cycled pallets and two of the councils black cones.
      The box is 3' x 5' and about 4' high, the front is held on with screws.
      So I fill the box with kitchen waste and garden waste. And at the end of the year fork this out into the two cones (on each side).

I ensure that some worms end up in each and start the cycle again.
      The stuff that comes out the cones is finished.

I use it half and half with commercial compost. In my herbs pots I half fill with DIY and top off with commercial.
      Last edited by Jimmy; 10-08-2008, 11:57 AM.
      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I have two at the moment. A plastic blackwell bin and one that i made out of old pallets and wood. The plastic one i use for my spent hops. The other for straw and general veg matter.
        good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

i wish mine was as neat as all of yours as we just have a 3 big piles. In fact we have been known to get some one to remove the big piles somewhere else. lol
          http://www.paintingsussex.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by aud View Post
            i wish mine was as neat as all of yours as we just have a 3 big piles. In fact we have been known to get some one to remove the big piles somewhere else. lol
            Piles are good! (Well not as in haemoroids!)
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X