Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter is coming.....cuisine for wildlife!

Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burnie
    replied
    Be aware that some food might encourage rats(a problem I had), so I grow sunflowers and save the seed for the birds. Don't over tidy the garden, the dead flower heads of some species have food for the birds too, like the teasel in particular. Peanuts are one of the best foods in a cage type feeder so the squirrels and rats can't eat them. Apples are a great idea Nicos, a friend even had Waxwings eating them in there garden a few winters back.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    So....over to you!

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    An interesting site about fun bird feeders....

https://happyhooligans.ca/32-homemade-bird-feeders/

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Looking at some recipes I think it worth mentioning that things should surely be salt-free?
    like peanut butter for e.g.
    One of the ones I looked at mentioned bacon fat...that's salty too!

Any bird experts out there who can advise on that please?
    Last edited by Nicos; 17-11-2017, 06:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    An American site....but it gives you an idea of what foods encourage different birds.....

These Bird Food Recipes will Attract Wild Birds and Save You Money

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Another thought....
    Any apples going past their 'best' , don't throw them out...pop them in the freezer until we get a really cold spell . Then defrost them overnight and chuck them onto the lawn/snow for the birds.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    started a topic Winter is coming.....cuisine for wildlife!

Winter is coming.....cuisine for wildlife!

As winter is nearly upon us, I thought it might be nice to share some recipes for fat balls etc for the birds and suggestions for other wildlife

Please feel free to add links and tips.....tried and tested or just something which caught your eye and you'd like to share!

my first 'tip' is to suggest you make sure you have clean water available for birds at all times ( unfrozen !)

here's a suet ball recipe....
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wil...5/t/20501.aspx

I find hanging these fat balls in direct sunlight causes them to melt and drip fat on sunny days....so they seem to be better hung somewhere more shaded.

Remember that some birds are ground feeders , some eat only seeds and others are insect eaters....so whatever you make will encourage different types of birds.
    Last edited by burnie; 17-11-2017, 09:17 AM.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X