• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First cuckoo / swallow 2021

Anyone heard or seen any yet?
    We’re still on the lookout
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Not yet. Bit worried the cuckoo might not be around any more. Swallows will take a little while yet to get here. Probably already in Barcelona, though, where it's warmer.

Comment

We saw 3 Cuckoos a couple of weeks ago, resting in a tree, I guess they had just flown over the sea, not seen any Sand Martins yet, they usually arrive first, then House Martins, then Swallows with the Swifts last.

Comment

A very timely thread, Nicos. I saw my first swallow this morning down in the village.

We rarely hear cuckoos around here now.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

A friend heard his first Cuckoo on 10th April and his House Martins returned on 8th April. Also heard his first Nightingale song this morning.
          All I get is Muntjacs!
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Heard a Cuckoo yesterday but no swallows yet.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I rarely see house martins or swallows where I am. I do always see lots and lots of swifts once they arrive for the summer, though (too early yet, mind).

Comment

No cuckoo here yet. Only mentioned that last week.
                Not seen swallows or housemartins here but someone has few miles away. Hoping the warmer weather helps
                Northern England.

Comment

Amazing timing indeed MH!
                  OH heard our first cuckoo this morning
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My first two swallows, bombing about overhead as we had lunch outdoors. Mr Snoop says he saw his first one yesterday.

No bee-eaters as yet. Their numbers seem to be in decline. We used to get huge flocks of them in our valley, more like squadrons, actually, than flocks. Their aerial acrobatics are even more impressive than the swallows'.

Comment

Saw our first two Sand Martins, the Swallows won't be far away I hope.

Comment

Husband heard first cuckoo a week or so ago (same county but not super local to us!) and we have swallows ducking and diving on our local nature reserve. Lovely to watch but the buggers never pose for a photo!!
                        If it ain't broke...fix it til it is!

Comment

The Swallows are back!! I saw three yesterday showing interest in our outbuildings where they have nested before.
                          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

We have a dozen Swallows hunting insects over the burn at the side of the village.

Comment

Just heard the cuckoo this morning on our dog walk. So pleased.
                              Northern England.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X