Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Affordable (squirrel and big bird proof) bird feeders... Any recommendations?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable (squirrel and big bird proof) bird feeders... Any recommendations?

Hi all

My partner has been looking this morning and has come across a bird feeder that ticks all the boxes (squirrel and big bird proof), but not the affordability box at £50!!! Has anyone had any success with cheaper bird feeders? It needs to woodpecker friendly though.

Many thanks

This looks to fit the bill, we don't have Wilko's up here in Scotland, but if I did I might get one.
    https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-wi...UO2A&gclsrc=ds

Comment

I have seen ones with an outer cage like that in Aldi recently.
      Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Where are you putting them? I have three answers:

1. The feeder is on a long wire hanging from a tree. (by long I mean 20ft). They don't seem to come down that far;
        2. For hanging feeders, I've got one of those plastic domes on the post - they don't seen to be able to get past them;
        3. I've got a feeder that looks very much like the "natures market squirrel guard" which I bought online a few years ago - about £7.50

The Greater Spotted Woodpeckers can get at the suet on all of them.

Last edited by MarkPelican; 04-09-2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

I have a range of Gardman feeders, not the cheapest but have lasted me over 20+yrs. Worth shopping around to find the best price.
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
          https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
          Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I can vouch for the style of that Wilko one - I have one at home that the squirrels find very frustrating! Definitely cost less than a tenner.

Comment

We bought a bird feeder. We were told that they would not eat squirrels from there. But the protein cannot be stopped. Especially in the middle of autumn, when they are greedy and drag whole heaps of food to their secluded places. Therefore, we put a separate feeder for the squirrels and generously pour food there. But they still steal from the birds.

Comment

Been looking at new feeders too. Have to accept squirrels in the garden and I wouldn’t mind if they didn’t take all the bird seed. This week we have had some success by putting a feeder with peanuts at one side to keep them busy and sunflower hearts for the birds in another part of the garden. I was looking at whether there was anything we could put out that the squirrels aren’t so keen on and it said Niger seeds? Does anyone have experience of this?

Comment

The Niger seeds might be a bit small for squirrels to enjoy,it might work. The garden centre near us sells actual squirrel food in the bird/hedgehog feed section,it had big things like monkey nuts & other whole nuts & bits of corn. A bag of unsalted monkey nuts & some black sunflower seeds might be cheaper,some of the prices are ridiculous for what it is. I found a shelled walnut in my mums front garden the other day,a squirrel must’ve accidentally dropped it there because she doesn’t have a walnut tree but neighbours do,I cracked it open & left it for the birds or the squirrel that was probably watching

Comment

Bought some Niger seeds today. Will give it a go. Saw blue tits, great tits, coal tits and a bullfinch at the sunflower hearts earlier , as well as the inevitable squirrels. So hope for the best.

Comment

It is simply impossible to ward off squirrels from bird feeders. Just try to distinguish between food places. Although squirrels are smart and fast, they can get anywhere.

Comment

Yes they can jump so far! Have had some success with the Niger seeds. The birds are liking it but squirrels are staying mainly on the ground. They have been kept distracted with another feeder that had peanuts in it.

Comment

Monty had a solution tonight, whack a vine nail in a wall about 6 foot off the ground hang your feeders off those, birds can eat to their hearts content and the squirrels are left hungry.

Comment

Saw that. Can’t see how that would work though . We have a wall but too low, our fence is a bit higher but they just run up and down that. They are both clever and determined.

Comment

Stil, working well. We get nuthatches , three types of tits, and even the odd goldfinch. The squirrels jump on occasionally I guess because we mix the Niger seeds with sunflower seeds in the feeder but nowhere near as much as before. They mostly stay on the ground and get seeds from there. Think the seeds that have fallen to the ground look like they have germinated and are now growing into something. Actually saw a fox today in the garden eating the seeds that had fallen down.
                              Last edited by annie8; 19-11-2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X