Koi problems

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koi problems

What looks to be my last Koi is floating belly up at top of pond. It's still alive as fins still moving.

Another one went same way weeks ago and eventually died.

I think that's all my fish!

I did put in 10 small butterfly koi, see the odd one occasionally.

Any ideas please.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Sorry to hear that Danny, do you have any photos. My 1st thought would be the balance of the water, oxygenation etc.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Edited to delete my post: Big Mallly is here! He'll know more than me. Nice to see you, BM.
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 03-10-2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
        Edited to delete my post: Big Mallly is here! He'll know more than me. Nice to see you, BM.
        I wouldn't know about that Snoop.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          Sorry to hear that Danny, do you have any photos. My 1st thought would be the balance of the water, oxygenation etc.
          I'll try and get photo(s).

I'm just looking to get testing kit.

Oxygen should be ok as pumped 24/7 and it's cooler now.

Thanks
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Although late in the day, this may be worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM8oOze3zqE

Comment

Is it something to do with the temperature drop,their digestion changes & can cause swim bladder problems? Are they eating the same food in the same quantity,digestion slows down & the food expands inside them causing pressure on the swim bladder?

Comment

The first casualty with these symptons occurred in warmer weather.

They were being fed floating pond pellets. Same routine for years.

They are about 18" long.

Got photos but iMac, elderly like me, and Flckr playing up!
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

The symptoms do sound like bladder problem if it's floating upside down, this point to air gulping when eating surface food as a possible cause.
                  https://www.koi-pond-guide.com/swim-bladder.html

Comment

It's still alive but on its back. Tail up, head down. It did right itself for a while.

Still unable to get photos posted.

I was thinking of getting one of these kits.https://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/te...-pond-test-kit

Suggestions gratefully received.
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Can you talk us through your set up, rough size, fish density and filtration type/size? Is this a planted pond or just fish?
                      I never bothered with test kits for freshwater fish keeping apart from Discus, only marines and especially invertebrates.

Comment

Have you got an aquarium/pond shop you can phone up,ask if you can take a water sample there for them to test. Ive taken a sample of water in a test tube size container without phoning,they can test for water impurities like high nitrates/ammonia. You added new fish,are they all swimming normally? Could one of the new fish have bought something in or are they all healthy looking?

Comment

Sorry for delay but have been rushing around for ECG and meds and weather was awful.

Pond is approx 10ft X 20ft. Shelf 1ft deep X 20. Rest 2ft deep

Pumped 24/7 Hozelock Aquaforce 4000 2,800LPH @ 1m through filter. Water drops couple of ft from 2 outlets. Not cleaned filter this year.

Inherited 1995. Was down to three large fish circa June. Added 10 2/3" butterfly kio c June . Can't immediately find purchase details. Not seen new ones for a while but lot of vegetation

Early summer put in 3 packs barley straw which clarified water.

About 2/3 covered variegated flag, skunk cabbage.

Will phone some places. We are not well acquitted with nearby shops. Am checking up
                          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Vegetation/pond weed could have caused the ph to go up,take care of yourself don’t worry about delays getting back to us,we’re always here. Have you got movement in the water,a fountain or something otherwise the straw,sitting still as it decomposes gives off some toxicity. Movement in the water,makes whatever it is that comes off the straw,move around or something,I couldn’t use barley straw because of that.

Comment

Somewhat concerned that the filter has not been cleaned, even with a low fish density and 2 feet deep doesn't sound very deep, so the water volume is lowered. If my maths is right(which is debateable) you are turning over the water every two hours, which seems a lot. Aerobic bacteria are going to struggle to work at that sort of rate, what filter media do you use?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X