Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any help for a bee keeping beginner?

Hi Everyone,

I was looking into bee keeping last year but with doing the garden etc I never got had the time to build a beehive. I really want to do it this year and want to build a beehive asap with it being early in the year so I can put it out and let it get rid of any woody smells it might have and blend with nature. I have some lats of strong pine wood bout 7" thick by 1" wide Im looking for some help on finding a easy hive to build.

Has anyone got any ideas???

Thanks Guys

Jen x
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

Here is a search I did ... https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=be...w=1024&bih=629 ... if you see a design you like click the image,then click .. visit page

HTH
    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Looked a bit more & found here .. Bee Hive Construction plans and ideas - ebook .. you can download 5 sets of drawings (.zip files) for 29pence
      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Thanks bearded bloke.

If anyone can post a pic of theirs Id be greatfull Im a bit stuck wondering if I need a tall one or could I just do a little one?

Also where would best positioning be? In the sun? shade? or partial shade?

I was thinking of putting it on the patio but It gets really hot if we have a good summer, and Im thinking (remember Im learning) if it gets to hot would it melt the wax that the bees create?

Jen x

Comment

Whatever you build you need to understand beespace.

Lots of info and help here
          DIY Hive construction and plans and tools. - Beekeeping Forum

Comment

Top bar hives are the easiest to build, basically a covered trough on legs and the bees build their own comb
            Top Bar Bee Hive Plans
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Get in touch with your local Beekeeping Association Jen.

Comment

Top Bar Hives are not particularly easy for a beginner.

A friend of mine, a very keen beekeeper jokes that his friend likes to start Top Bar Hive colonies ... he likes it so much, he does it every year (his colony dies off, or vanishes)

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post

I was thinking of putting it on the patio

Jen x
                  I don't have bees myself (OH is allergic to them) but a very good friend keeps them although as he only has a medium sized garden with neighbours either side and also has children the bees are kept in a farmers field!

Position of the hive is very important, I'm not sure a patio would be suitable especially if you have children. There will be a lot of activity around the hive and you certainly won't want kids running around it. They can swarm if you have a nasty queen so you also need to plan that in. How close are your neighbours? Would they be happy with you keeping bees?

A course would answer all your questions.

Comment

When you say "Bees" Jen, do you mean Honey bees, bumble bees or any other sort of bee? There are big differences in their habitat requirements.

Comment

Presumed Honey bees with the mention of bees wax

Comment

As before, try local BBKA. Having gone through the beginning stage, learning by seeing what others - who are "proper" beekeepers - do, saves a great deal of grief and money. DO NOT reinvent the wheel!

Also see: Beekeeping Forum
                        Last edited by Madasafish; 01-01-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

yeah Im after honey bees, I would would love to try and attract the native black honey bee. I would of Ideally loved to of had a bash at making my own skep but I cant seem to find the tools anywhere.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X