No announcement yet.

The Bees Knees

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your pictures of the inside of your hive are so amazing, Lotsaveg, that I may have a go at making one of these too.
    Last edited by mothhawk; 24-04-2011, 08:55 AM. Reason: wrong thumbnail!
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Lotsaveg View Post
      I'm guessing that the Bumblebees will maintain the nest size proportionately to the size of the box. It may also be a different species to the beepol bees which are Bombus terrestris (a u d a x) [my automatic spell checker keeps changing this to 'addax' unless i put a space between each letter!!!). B. terrestris are known to build one of the biggest nests of our native bumblebee species.

Since I removed the lid of my beepol hive, the colony are now building a second story! I'll post some new pictures soon.

Saw an amazing sight yesterday when a large bumblebee, which could have been a cuckoo bee tried to get into the hive. One of the guards shot out of his hole and wrestled the invader to the floor. They were rolling about on the ground for a couple of minutes before the invader flew away and the guard returned to his post!
      HER post, bumblebees, like honeybees, the ones that do all the work (including guarding) are female. All male bees are good for is breeding!
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

My first flowerpot bumblebee nest is finished and awaiting prospective tenants.

Endless wonder.

Comment

I didn't have any chicken wire, so used small dry twigs, and made a nest shaped ball inside from natural cotton wool pulled into tiny pieces and remoulded into a hollowish ball.
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
            HER post, bumblebees, like honeybees, the ones that do all the work (including guarding) are female. All male bees are good for is breeding!
            Oooooooooops! Sorry, I wasn't thinking!

Comment

My Beepol hive in the lodge has just kept on expanding since I removed the plastic lid. Here's the latest picture:

Bees are coming back to the hive with pollen about every 20 seconds !

Yesterday I received another hive without the wooden lodge which I've set up on a platform in the roof of my greenhouse next to an open vent. The bees have already learnt to fly off out of the vent and come back through the gap into the hive. I'm hoping that when my tomatoes begin flowering they'll be doing a bit of work in the greenhouse as well!!

Comment

Thought it was about time for an update on the Beepol Lodge...

It's still going strong after it was first set up on 18th March and the size of the nest has just kept increasing!!

Sadly though, I found an adult wax moth in the Lodge so we'll have to see what happens over the following weeks.

Comment

Sadly this will likely be the final update on my outdoor Beepol hive as I think it's coming to an end after 3 months of total fascination.

Another flush of new queens and males were walking around the top of the nest today. Every so often a huge queen would start to buzz her wings and then take off, circle the garden a few times and then disappear off into the horizon. This is the third batch of queens that I've seen leave the hive since it was first set up back in March!

The pictures below show a queen about to depart and a newly hatched male. There's also evidence of the dreaded wax moth within the nest (identified by the silk threads that cover some of the old egg cells. Luckily the wax moths haven't taken over the nest as often is the case with small bee nests.

I've spoken to the company who supplies the Beepol and they're currently testing some natural products that might be used to control wax moths in the future. This could be very useful for bee keepers if successful!!

They're also going to use some of my pictures on their website and are sending me a new hive!!

Here's the spectacular nest with the new queens emerging

Here's a queen just before she flew away:

Here's a newly hatched male:

When they've all departed I'll probably put another nest box in the wooden lodge and position it in amongst my runner and French bean bed.
                  Last edited by Lotsaveg; 03-06-2011, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Sadly this nest has now come to an end

The last queen bumbled off into the wild yesterday.

Comment

Those pictures are just amazing, I may have a go myself floowing Mothhawks instructions. Thanks for a great thread all!
                      http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Brilliant photos, thank you

Today I discovered that Red Tailed bees are nesting in a bird's nest box in our school playground. I was called in to "do something" lol !

I took a group out there and we watched the bees coming & going with pollen (all females, right?). The children were all calm, quiet and fascinated, just two feet away, and the bees ignored us. Brilliant stuff
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                          Brilliant photos, thank you

Today I discovered that Red Tailed bees are nesting in a bird's nest box in our school playground. I was called in to "do something" lol !

I took a group out there and we watched the bees coming & going with pollen (all females, right?). The children were all calm, quiet and fascinated, just two feet away, and the bees ignored us. Brilliant stuff
                          Fantastic!! Lets hope the PC health and Safety brigade don't turn up and destroy the nest because it's close to school kids.

Comment

I hope not too. I was fielding questions about the risk all morning, so printed off a quick factsheet which seemed to calm things down a bit - but they still cordoned off that section of playground with metal railings
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

That is stunning, would be ideal for the corner of my garden once the flowers grow for coverage. x
                              If you want to view paradise
                              Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                                My first flowerpot bumblebee nest is finished and awaiting prospective tenants.

You got any more pics of how you made this? where they come in and out etc?

Ignore this I just seen to pics you posted.
                                xx
                                Last edited by 4390evans; 12-01-2014, 01:25 PM.
                                If you want to view paradise
                                Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X