Something New - Jalapeño

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something New - Jalapeño

Hi there. I was explaining to somebody at work that we dabble in growing our own fruit and veg and they said “I bet you grew your own Sprouts for Christmas Day”.

Having explained No because we only grow the things we like and eat, on reflection, it suddenly dawned on me that we always buy jars of pickled jalapeños.

Why ever shouldn’t I grow them? I’m assuming that I can grow from seed and would need a variety the same as I would buy in the shops. Any advice on variety so they are the same?

Also any advice on how and what to pickle them in would be good. Normal pickling vinegar that I do my onions in?

Regards......Rob

Jallies grow well under cover in the UK but they can also do pretty well in a sheltered, sunny position outside. We pickle ours in normal malt vinegar by filling sterilised jars with sliced peppers then filling with boiling vinegar. They all get eaten within a year so I couldn't vouch for the long term keeping qualities of pickling with this method.
    Seeds aren't hard to find, most suppliers sell plain jalapenos.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I've tried a few varieties of jalapeño. Hot, early, telecia and a couple of others. This year I'm just sticking with jalapeño. You can get them from pretty much any seed supplier.

For growing info
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...7-a_92000.html

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...8-a_95416.html

Here's a couple of recipes

Quick Pickled Jalapeno Rings Recipe - Allrecipes.com

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/candied-jalapenos/ ( sweet pickled, called Cowboy candy, I can't recommend it highly enough )

Comment

I'm trying Jalapeño NuMex Piñata this year, they are a variety that goes from yellow to orange to red in colour rather than the standard green and supposedly a bit hotter.

I'd quite like to try the purple jalapeno but havent located any seeds yet.

Comment

I grew the Suttons ones and they were easy to grow and very tasty without being too hot, we just froze ours and they go in soups more often than not, Parsnip and Butternut squash will be todays offering.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            I grew the Suttons ones and they were easy to grow and very tasty without being too hot, we just froze ours and they go in soups more often than not, Parsnip and Butternut squash will be todays offering.
            Thanks Bernie. I don’t want them too hot anyway.

Regards......Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Ryleh View Post
              I'd quite like to try the purple jalapeno but havent located any seeds yet.
              You can find them here if you don't mind buying from Holland.
              Jalapeno Purple

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                You can find them here if you don't mind buying from Holland.
                Jalapeno Purple
                Thats the issue I had, finding a UK supplier. Im not keen on ordering from places I dont know and especially from places I dont know from a different country.

Comment

Our Jalapenos grew well despite being sown at the start of June. We kept the plant indoors, on a south facing kitchen window sill. They were from a pack of six types of peppers from Homebase so couldn't give you the precise name. Whilst peppers were large, they weren't very hot, which was a disappointment. Added tomato feed weekly once flowers arrived.

Comment

Looking around the various sites the problem is more of what or which ones is a Jalapeno.. Most seem to offer 1, others have a lot One site under the results for "jalapeno" search lists Bhat Jolokia, which I suspect is not a Jalapeno, bit hotter.

They are at pepperseeds.eu I suspect the same Dutch group as mentioned previously. Half the question is the postage cost. Something else I wanted and fron The Nederlands the postage came to as much as the 2 items.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                      Looking around the various sites the problem is more of what or which ones is a Jalapeno.. Most seem to offer 1, others have a lot One site under the results for "jalapeno" search lists Bhat Jolokia, which I suspect is not a Jalapeno, bit hotter.

They are at pepperseeds.eu I suspect the same Dutch group as mentioned previously. Half the question is the postage cost. Something else I wanted and fron The Nederlands the postage came to as much as the 2 items.
                      Thanks Kirk, To be honest, that’s my original query......”from seed and would need a variety the same as I would buy in the shops.”

Anyone able to say what the variety is???

Comment

Do you mean the variety that's in the jars of pickles that you buy?

Comment

Yes VC, that’s exactly it.

Regards....,Rob

Comment

Any clues on the label?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                              Any clues on the label?
                              No, just says Jalapeño Pepper.

Rob

Comment

Latest Topics