X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snadger
    replied
    Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
    We used to use dog hair when the mutt had a trim, into the compost bin and stirred in and we used that for growing the melons, worked a treat...
    I made a fishing fly with the hair from my dogs tail and caught a trout with it!

Leave a comment:

• BUFFS
    replied
    We used to use dog hair when the mutt had a trim, into the compost bin and stirred in and we used that for growing the melons, worked a treat...

Leave a comment:

• Dalrimple
    replied
    it's used by the Rhubarb Growers of Yorkshire , those of the Triangle know the benifits of using the shody to its best advantage, But it is all kept in the dark and gaurded from the outside people !

atb Dal

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    Any sheep that died in snowdrifts on the moors were deposited in the bottom of my Uncles leek trench. I wasn't involved in digging of the leek trench so I have no idea whether the fleece eventually rotted down and added nitrogen to the soil.

Can't say his leeks were whoppers though!

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Bury them in the bottom of a runner bean trench. Hold water and fertilise at the same time!

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Originally posted by Stumpweasel View Post
    I had no idea wool would add nitrogen! Fascinating!
    Here we are, I knew I'd read it somewhere recently Our Products | Dalefoot Composts

You could have quite a sought after resource there SW
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 06-07-2017, 07:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpweasel
    replied
    bag of daggings brought home. Ive slugs getting into greenhouse so ill try a light mulching. And tonight ill start a sheep poo tea. Thanks guys. I had no idea wool would add nitrogen! Fascinating!

Leave a comment:

• Penellype
    replied
    Absolutely agree with Mr Bones - excellent for composting, would be fine for mulching (but probably not for carrots/parsnips as the manure washing into the soil might make them fork). Good as part of a lasagne bed or in a bean trench.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Should be good for both mulching and compost. For mulching the wool will deter slugs and the poo enrich the soil and for composting the wool will add nitrogen and the poo beneficial bacteria.
    I've made aerobic tea from fresh sheep poo and molasses, as I remember brassicas loved it.

Leave a comment:

• burnie
    replied
    I used to live near an ex Kiwi, who swore by sheep's poo for making liquid feed for his garden and allotment, he used to hang a bag full of it in a big water tank and gave the bag a shake each time he went past it. Never heard of it being used in composting.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpweasel
    started a topic Sheep and compost for veg

Sheep and compost for veg

So am sat here waiting on the shearers and am looking at a huge pile of daggings from yesterdays shearing. Can small amounts be used in composting/mulching? Be sheep poo rich.

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X