Sulphate of Iron

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphate of Iron

As I have a problem with flatworms I was thinking of sprinkling sulphate of iron over one of my raised beds, this is to see if it lowers the soil ph and if so, stops the flatworm, I know there are a number of fruits that prefer acidic soil but what veg could I grow in these conditions
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Sorry to hear about the flatworms,there's a list here that mentions potatoes,radish,rhubarb,sweet potato & parsley as acid lovers,others can tolerate acid soil~
    25 Fruits And Vegetables To Grow In Acidic Soil | Off The Grid News
    I read something about tomatoes being affected by too much iron but it says on here potatoes show no problem with excess iron on the tuber~
    Micronutrients | CropWatch
    As marigolds exude a natural pesticide in their roots,would that help anywhere? Do any worms like marigolds I don't know,good luck with what you're doing it must be difficult. If they die at temperatures of -2 maybe the problem won't be so bad this year,if numbers are smaller,some earthworms might stand a chance? Hopefully someone will find a biological control for them asap!

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
      As I have a problem with flatworms I was thinking of sprinkling sulphate of iron over one of my raised beds, this is to see if it lowers the soil ph and if so, stops the flatworm, I know there are a number of fruits that prefer acidic soil but what veg could I grow in these conditions
      Be careful! Iron sulphate is used as a component of lawnsand to kill moss and daisies so could kill your plants.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sorry to hear you have them. This link might help (if I've done it right). Unfortunately seems like it's going to take a lot of work to reduce their numbers

http:// https://www.opalexplorenature.org/nzflatworm
        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Be careful! Iron sulphate is used as a component of lawnsand to kill moss and daisies so could kill your plants.
          I thought it might cause problems with my plants that's why I was only doing it in one bed and waiting to see the effects, though I didn't now it killed off daisies, so thank for that
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread, Rary. One of the locals has told me I should sprinkle a bit in my potato beds when planting my seed potatoes. He spotted that a lot of my potatoes have little black holes bored in them by insects and recommended sulphate of iron as a remedy.

How are you finding it?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              How are you finding it?
              I have applied some sulphate of iron on a bed that is planted with raspberry bushes which seem ok, and a bed with potatoes and leeks, no sign of any flat worm and the potato tops look fine, the leeks are not doing as well as I hoped, but that could be too high expectations, I have not found any flat worms forthwith a while but I will continue to check as they can go into dormancy for about a year till the worm population grows again, at the end of the growing season ( which could be next week if this cold spell continues) I am going to soak my veg beds with a 1percent solution of vinegar. But whither that will be any good I do not know as the flat worm can travel about and there are gardens on either side of me and fields to the back.

Comment

Ah Snoop I spoke too soon, was lifting potatoes today and found a flatworm, duly disposed of, the tatties look good though I will let you know how they taste, later

Comment

Thanks, Rary. Enjoy those tatties. I don't think mine will store at all well because of the insect damage. Better get eating them fast!

Comment

Hi Rary (and others), I'm reviving this thread to see how you got on.

I've been to have a look at fertilisers today (am looking for something with boron in, but might have to buy that separately by the look of it). While I was chatting to the man who runs the place, he also recommended sulphate of iron to me to lower the pH, as our soil is very alkaline. We have click beetles aplenty and wireworm problems, so sulphate of iron should help with that, but I don't want to kill off the earthworms. He suggested I follow up with what he described as very concentrated organic fertiliser that looks to me to be very like seed compost, though he said it should be scattered in very small handfuls as it's very strong.

In case it's relevant information, my patch consists of about 14 beds, each 12 metres long by 80 cm or so wide. In between are paths of about 60 cm. To the sides are several metres of uncultivated land, occupied mostly by assorted weeds. I guess the earthworms might survive there and migrate but it could take a while. I'm trying to go as no-dig as I can this year, with green manures and hay to add to the humus content.

How did you get on with it, Rary? Anyone else got any advice?

Comment

I used Iron Sulphate on the blueberry, lingon berry, cranberry beds to drop the ph as it works quicker than elemental sulphur. These plants are healthy (put in last year) and I've just given them a dusting of sulphur so the microbes can work at keeping the ph down over the next few months.

Snoop Pus - not sure about adding boron but borax (water softener, laundry booster) is sodium borate, it is, however, now banned by the European Food Agency as a food additive. Are you sure you need boron?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                        Hi Rary (and others), I'm reviving this thread How did you get on with it, Rary? Anyone else got any advice?
                        Hello Snoop I have been checking the garden regularly and have not found any flat worms for a while, though I wonder if the cold makes them go down deeper into the soil, I have placed a lot of seaweed on the garden and again I don't know the effect that has on flat worms, if I find any more I will put them into a seaweed solution to see the effect it has on it, hopefully I won't find any more, but will keep you posted

Comment

I always associate boron deficiency with brown rot in the centre of swedes etc, which I have on my plot and is probably predominant on the site?

This Wikipedia link backs this up and is worth reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_...lant_disorder)
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks, guys. Yes, Jay-ell, my brassicas seemingly need a bit of boron as a micronutrient.

And thanks, Rary. Maybe earthworms would just dive deeper too. I certainly don't want to kill them. I shall ponder on.

Comment

Hi Snadger, thanks for the link. I hadn't thought to check Wikipedia. But it confirms what I've found elsewhere. I didn't grow any root veg last year, but my caulis and cabbages show the symptoms mentioned and have done for the last couple of years. I've been quite disappointed in them, to be honest. And we eat a huge amount of brassicas.

Edited to add: we have quite alkaline soils, which makes it more difficult for plants to take up boron, apparently. Plus, a severe flood a few years back probably leached a lot of micronutrients from the soil. I'd say that's when the problems started.
                              Last edited by Snoop Puss; 25-02-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X