Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still on course for a very cold snap Sunday into Monday. Don't be fooled by the warmer weather before then.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• My local forecast is showing temperatures cold enough for ground frost for most nights from tomorrow night through to next Monday (8 consecutive nights) - this would be the most extended string of frosts of the winter! The coldest night seems to vary from Monday night to Wednesday night - currently Thursday morning is showing as -1 here. The best advice I can give is to keep a close eye on the local forecasts and have a plan for moving or covering anything that might be damaged.

Uncertainties are still more pronounced than usual, probably due to the lower number of measurements ongoing, so anything beyond the next couple of days is subject to change, but to be fair this cold spell has been flagged by most of the models for quite some time.
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

• Thanks Pen -will get the fleece out in preparation!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I would have done alright if it wasn't for the wind - it ripped the fleece off my early tatties and they've been badly caught. They'll come through, but it's annoying!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
            I would have done alright if it wasn't for the wind - it ripped the fleece off my early tatties and they've been badly caught. They'll come through, but it's annoying!
            Yes, the wind is an absolute pest. Luckily its kept above freezing here (so far) but as well as blowing the fleece around the wind has ripped loads of leaves and fruiting branches off the raspberries and blown over one of my strawberry towers and the pink blueberry bush (both now weighted down with bricks). The blueberry had leaves all over winter and withstood the gales, so it must be a directional thing. However, when the wind dies down (probably tomorrow) the frost may get worse. Wednesday night is looking particularly cold at the moment - clear and calm in a cold air mass. At least covers should then stay put, but whether they will provide enough protection is anyone's guess.

Comment

• Sadly not for 4 of my tomatoes! Even with a make shift heater, they've been badly caught. Intrestingly, my home sown toms are fine, but the GC ones are savaged, even though they've had a month of the same treatment as my own.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your tomatoes 1Bee. Thankfully there are now clear signs that the temperature will rise towards the weekend, but not before another 2 or 3 cold nights. Tomorrow night looks to be the worst, at least where I am.

Comment

• For those of us already running short of water (or getting sick of watering) there is sadly no real sign of any rain. The long range forecast I saw yesterday (ECMWF) has us under mainly high pressure for the next 6 months, which could be rather grim. (As always long range forecasts are little better than guesswork).
                  Last edited by Penellype; 12-05-2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• The like was for your effort Pen, not the forecast! I too am sick of watering, already...

Comment

• This morning's runs give a little more hope of rain later next week, although this is still in the unreliable timeframe. In the meantime, tonight could well be the coldest night of the winter so far - keep protecting those vulnerable plants!

Comment

• What's the crack pen? Keen to get some marketmores, amateurs and maybe some melons in quad grows outside. Temps on the met in my area seem to be above 10 for next week or so.
                        Last edited by ghexton; 18-05-2020, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ghexton View Post
                          What's the crack pen? Keen to get some marketmores, amateurs and maybe some melons in quad grows outside. Temps on the met in my area seem to be above 10 for next week or so.
                          Sorry, only just seen this (not yet used to the new forum).

Very warm today and tomorrow cooler and windy on Friday then warming up again over the weekend. Very little rain away from the north west, unless you catch a thunderstorm tomorrow (greatest risk probably south east). Uncertain after the weekend but nothing very cold showing up at the moment. Frost is not impossible in late May/early June, but becomes more and more unlikely the further on you go.

I have bedding plants outside and don't intend to bring them back in. Cucumbers should be ok, melons I'm not sure.

Comment

• Very windy again today, the further north and west you are the windier it will be. Slowly calming down so it should be more tolerable by tomorrow.

Rain continues to be in short supply away from the north west - parts of Scotland are having a deluge and people there will wonder what all the fuss is about. There isn't much rain in the next few days for most, although we may see something towards the end of the week. Nights will be chillier than recently but hopefully not cold enough to do any damage.

Sorry I haven't been updating this as often or thoroughly as before - I have limited time and most of it is currently spent waiting for pages to load!

Comment

• Trying tolikeyour post pen but can't
                              ibpl

Comment

• Or put spaces in my text! The updated forum is really pants still I'm afraid.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X