• Show
Clear All

• Salad leaves in unheated greenhouse

Can I sow them now ?
    Recommended variety ?
    Any advise appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

I always grow Seeds of Italy Misticanza Quatro Stagioni ( Four seasons mild lettuce and bitter leaves mix) It's like the mixed leaves salad you buy in bags.

MISTICANZA MIXED SALAD PACK £1 special offer until stocks last

It does germinate, and grow, through the winter but the speed of it will depend on the winter weather. Obviously it won't germinate if temperature is near freezing.
    Some of mine is sown in blue mushroom boxes, on the staging, and later I'll sow it in the greenhouse borders, when the last tomatoes come out. (Black cherry toms still fruiting )

Comment

I'm growing lettuce "all the year round", which didn't do very well last year but I'm giving it a dogs chance this winter.

I'm also growing lettuce "Reine des Glaces", which is supposed to be good in the cold and is coming along nicely at the moment.

I'm also growing salad leaves "The Goodlife mixed". These were okay last year so I'm doing them again.

Growing has slowed right down now despite the mild weather, probably because the light levels have fallen away.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I have always had really good results with red and green salad bowl. They are recommend as a hardy variety. Some of my favourite.
        I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Personal I don't because of the low light and temperature here. And because I'm a bit of a fair weather gardener
          But I know there are lots of people that grow salad leave through the winter. There are lots variety that perform well in winter. Off the top of my head, winter lettuce, claytonia (miners lettuce), and I think lambs lettuce, but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Comment

I'm growing lamb's lettuce again, but this year I intend to eat it - last year I was waiting for it to get bigger, but then it ran to seed, I guess they are only meant to get to that small size - you need to grow a lot, you'd need 4 or 5 for a decent salad! Lovely taste and texture though.
            He-Pep!

Comment

Yes im growing winter gem lettuce in my blow away,they're growing nicely with some white lisbon spring onions sowed at the same time in October.

Comment

It is probably too late but if you start spinach off early, it will slowly grow over winter for baby leaf.
                I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

I have red and green sald bowl growing away happily at the moment. I will continue to sow more while the temp is still high, after that I will reconsider.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Real seeds say lettuce germinates between 2C and 27C, so should cope quite well with being sown now.
                    Germination

Comment

I grow Arctic king and All year Round lettuce, i sow them at the end of August then they go in my GH borders where theres space between the toms.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I grow Mesclun a mixed salad leaf. I have two troughs already growing if I need to set more I will bring it in until it germinates then straight into the GH.

I have a shelf at high level to maximise what light there is and it is slightly warmer up there too.
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well in my greenhouse I sowed rocket, chard and spicy salad and also transplanted some smaller kale from the garden but all hardly grown in weeks despite mild weather. I also sowed spinach but still small in the seed tray. Same result last year and not freezing conditions

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Marb67; 04-11-2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Funny you say that about kale. I grow curly kale for winter/spring greens there isn't one plant over 6 inch's high this year.
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Would a spray with seaweed help them on ? I have already bubblewrapped the greenhouse.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X