Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lottie dolly
    replied
    My word that has come on,looks good and maturing very nicely,i had to gogle about gold fish,ere hum habits,got more to do,i wonder if thats what my lot are up to,or just over the moon to be free,they are all over the place darting around in the shallows where the plants and pond weed are,even swimming over the top of the baskets chasing around,and my word you would think they were starved the way they grab the food,i do find some of their antics amusing,we have had a pond for several years,and never noticed such activity,am of to gogle at what size they breed ext,

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Thanks to Lottie, it prompted me to put a lickle update. Rather than post a few pics, I thought I'd put a clip up instead. I hope you enjoy it:

Leave a comment:

• lottie dolly
    replied
    I have already been standing and looking,nice and relaxing,i head count them,5 of them and 3 of the other ext,son shoed a moggy away having a mooch last night,also have to heron watch,it will have to be netted somehow,a one flew over when it was just a hole in the ground,unless it was smelling them in the barrel hehe,

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Its lovely Lottie - bet your fish are happy to be swimming free now.
    Don't forget to leave a space beside the pond for a seating area. You'll spend lots of time sitting beside your pond, watching the fish, believe me

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Looking forward to seeing the finished article Lottie.

Leave a comment:

• lottie dolly
    replied
    Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    That's impressively circular LD. Well done whoever wielded the shovel, it looks great
    thanks MH,i was forman,as i knew what i wanted,i marked out the edge by digging the circle shape free hand,then MR got his digger on the job,as the ground was dug out,i shaped the shelves and sides with the help of the big spirit level,there was no way i could have done it all by hand,when it came to putting the under felt down,it was like lining a giant cake tin,my poor old joints were severely tested climbing in and out the thing,the liner was a dodle by comparison,

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Looks great Lottie, will look brilliant when it's edged. Any ideas how you are going to edge it?.........Paving Slabs, Rocks, Wooden Logs, Gravel, ?

thanks BM,my head is full of ideas,we have 2 old conifer roots and lots of large granite rocks,i plan on using,along with some pathing of some sort to give foot accsess for feeding and maintenance,maybe some plants in pots to compliment the ones in the water,the overflow has yet to be done,as is an outside lecy box for the UV water pump,what i need is the ground to dry up a bit,i be glad when it's all done,then i can have turf and flower boarder,

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Looks great Lottie, will look brilliant when it's edged. Any ideas how you are going to edge it?.........Paving Slabs, Rocks, Wooden Logs, Gravel, ?

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    That's impressively circular LD. Well done whoever wielded the shovel, it looks great

Leave a comment:

• SkyChild
    replied
    Love this thread, very inspiring!!
    I will post a picture of our (container)pond once it's all set up. At the moment it's a bucket with plants and water, outside a copper tea urn which is yet to be lined. It's on my to-do list once baby's here

Leave a comment:

• lottie dolly
    replied
    Our new home pond,the first pic taken a few days ago,the second this afternoon,am just playing around with ideas for now,as to the finish of the edges,MR is clearing all the clay rubbish that was dug out,it's now time for the rain to go away,the ground is very muddy,thus stopping my play,boooohoooo,i am very happy with things so far,it's lovely to see the fish exploring all the pond,7 off them have been living in a barrel for months,just waiting for the pond to be done,all part of the garden make over.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Just a quick update:
    Plant life is starting to grow. Yesterday, the rectangular TV with the exception of the front was covered with UV resistant film so see if that helps keep algae at bay. The front has a magnetic cleaner in place so should be easy to clean, just need a few days for the water to clear a bit..............that's about it till spawning time again............

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Once they get to know that's where the food is going, they will be queuing up when they see you.

Leave a comment:

• Deano's "Diggin It"
    replied
    curiosity killed the cat!........Not where fish are concerned!............

Looking good!

Just needs "Tweeking"
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• mothhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
    This is when I first built the pond in 2011. It has since thrived with many frogs but still no water boatmen and pond skaters for the want of trying.
    Maybe the skaters are eating the boatmen and the frogs are eating the skaters Marb

Water boatmen fly and can apparently be attracted to nightlights, so try a couple of cheap battery candlelights near the pond to draw them into the garden.

Leave a comment:

• Marb67
    replied
    This is when I first built the pond in 2011. It has since thrived with many frogs but still no water boatmen and pond skaters for the want of trying.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Marb67; 17-09-2014, 08:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X