does my squash need a bigger pot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does my squash need a bigger pot?

i am very new to growing my own veg and i am confused what to do with this squash as it has raced ahead of the other ones and looks far to big for the pot??

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Dan
    Attached Files

Hi Dan, welcome to the Grapevine.

What size pot is your squash in at the moment. I sow mine 1 seed to a 3 and a half inch pot. You are very early to be sowing squash, as they can't go outside till after the last frost.

Comment

This is the problem with sowing early, squashes grow very quickly and are difficult to manage inside for a long period and you'll need to keep it inside until well into May, and the way its going this year, I'm not sure we'll ever get frost free! If the roots are showing out the bottom of the pot then it'll need potting on but otherwise just try and give it as much light as you can and hope. Also sow some more in about a months time and you may have better luck with them

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I always grow mine too early! I just can't wait any longer, I am going to try growing one in a large pot this year as I've ended up with too many varieties of courgette and squash.

As Alison said they will be fine until the roots start showing and then pot them into something bigger.
        Last edited by sammy_roser; 21-03-2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy_roser View Post
          I always grow mine too early!
          and how do they get on?

I don't even look at the seed packets until mid-April
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            and how do they get on?

I don't even look at the seed packets until mid-April
            The last two years I've not had any issues with them. They stay in the house in 3.5in pots and then get put into larger pots and stored in the unheated greenhouse until I plant them out in late April/May.

This year I will run an experiment. Mid-April I will plant one more seed and see if it catches up with the earlier planted ones or if I get extra growth/crops out of the earlier ones.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy_roser View Post
              This year I will run an experiment. Mid-April I will plant one more seed and see if it catches up with the earlier planted ones or if I get extra growth/crops out of the earlier ones.
              I'd be interested to hear how that works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                I'd be interested to hear how that works out.

As would I
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

its a 2.5" pot. I did think it was a bit early, but thought id go ahead with it as our weather is so unpredictable. We have snow forecasted for next 2 days! god only help us!!

Comment

at what stage of the growth should i be looking at moving to bigger pots? Ive just moved the one pictured in my picture to the conservatory for cooler temperature as advised in the magazine/ packet.

Comment

You pot them on when the pot they are in is filled with roots. Good idea to move to the conservatory as they should get more light there, but make sure it's not too cold.

If you sow any more squash start them in slightly bigger pots (e.g. 3 and a half inch), then you won't have to worry about re-potting them so soon.

Comment

Has anyone got a photo of a fruiting squash to show the op?....

Sow in may June?

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by dan-the-mon View Post
                          at what stage of the growth should i be looking at moving to bigger pots? Ive just moved the one pictured in my picture to the conservatory for cooler temperature as advised in the magazine/ packet.
                          I think you will have to abandon that one before long but don't get disheartened.......and hope for a long hot summer and give them plenty of rich ground......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Originally posted by dan-the-mon View Post
                            I did think it was a bit early, but thought id go ahead with it as our weather is so unpredictable. We have snow forecasted
                            Yes, and it's the very unpredicatability of our weather that means we can't sow tender crops until our frosts are finished.
                            Have you checked yours ?

Squash grow really big, really fast. You're going to have to keep your baby monster warm for another 5 or 6 weeks, potting it on (into a bigger pot) when the roots are showing out the bottom, or when you can't keep up with its watering
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Triffids, I tell you. Triffids. I'm eyeballing the squash seeds, but won't sow til the end of April. Six weeks before they can be thrown outside.
                              Horticultural Hobbit

http://twitter.com/#!/HorticulturalH
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horti...085870?sk=info

http://horticulturalhobbit.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X