This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
    That's the Ailsa Craig onions planted out in the raised beds, strong looking plants with the roots well established, here's hoping!!
    My Ailsa Craig seedlings I was given are now transplanted into modules in greenhouse but are no where near ready for planting out.
    I still have over 100 seedlings in the original tray and thought I might plant these in clumps of three in modules and see how 'clump' planting affects the final size when planted out.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      My Ailsa Craig seedlings I was given are now transplanted into modules in greenhouse but are no where near ready for planting out.
      I still have over 100 seedlings in the original tray and thought I might plant these in clumps of three in modules and see how 'clump' planting affects the final size when planted out.
      I sowed mine in modules, then transplanted them into yoghurt pots, the roots were circling round the bottom of the pots, so needed to get into the ground, they have two chances.

Comment

• How many plants should I be growing on one seed plug (about 2-3cm wide)? The seeds are tiny and I haven't mastered the art of separating yet. Should I plant several and cut most away?

Also, once they start growing, should I do anything to support the "leaf?"

Thanks for your help - I'm learning as I go!

Comment

• I generally sow 2-3 seeds per module then separate them carefully for transplanting.

Comment

• You can separate the seedlings but you don't have to if you can't be bothered or want to trial multiples. Multisowing and growing on in a clump can work Ok for standard onions and it works really well for spring onions.

Comment

• I sow in modules and move on as a clump and harvest as a clump
              Northern England.

Comment

• Here's my crop this year, you will note that some are in clumps, as I am not growing for show, they will be just fine and they push their way through.
                These are Ailsa Craig, not my normal seed, just having a change this year. I will remove the chicken wire after the weekends storm and do a bit of hand weeding, I leave the wild red poppies in there.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02725.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2498215

Comment

• I sow in modules and then plant out in clumps.
                  Usually about 10 per module.
                  Seems to work fine and they find their own space.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Coming along slowly

Name:	DSC02749.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	1,001.8 KB
ID:	2502572

Comment

• Originally posted by burnie View Post
                      Coming along slowly

Name:	DSC02749.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	1,001.8 KB
ID:	2502572
                      Whats your raised bed made from Burnie? It looks substantial.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• I got some "railway sleepers" from Travis Perkins, they are the same size as railway sleepers but not soaked in creosote, sawn in half for the ends(not a job I would volunteer for again), 6 sleepers in each bed. I have 3 of them so I can rotate the crops round.

Comment

• Well they are still growing, but the bulbs don't look very big, I have got some Mammoth Reds delivered for next season, they grew better and were delicious in the kitchen, I think a lot more feed will have to go in next year.

Comment

• Just to show I'm not a complete failure with onions from seed, these spring onions are "bostin"

Name:	DSC02763.JPG
Views:	266
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2505527

Comment

• Why has this thread been removed from the sticky section as its good as a guide and a reference if it's getting to big surly it could be trimmed and locked then a normal thread for posting onion seed sowing and harvesting
                              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• It has been done because so many stickies are filling up peoples phone and tablet screens, this one was chosen as I was the only one posting on it, it will be archived and a new one can be started for next season, we don't want to lose this information as it is very useful as you said Rary.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X