Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't get too hung up about old seed. When Mel Ednie broke the world record with a 16½lb onion, the seed for that came from a jacket he had hanging in his garden shed for a number of years.

Having said that, I've sown old seed for Ailsae and Kelsae this time around and neither is looking hopeful .

I'm sure they'll be ok though
    Last edited by Aberdeenplotter; 08-01-2020, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Yikes, this will be our first year trying to grow bulb onions from seed instead of sets, reading through it seems like a lot of you already have them sown. Does anyone multisow in a module or are they all single sown?
      Anything is possible with the right attitude, a hammer
      and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

• It depends on what you are after, if it's BIG onions, for showing for example, then one is probably the way to go, I sow one in a cell to give the plants the best start and reduces the amount of potting on required.

Comment

• Thank you - may try some of each to compare. Its onions for us to eat, cook with and to use in chutney making, we use loads x
          and a roll of duct tape.

Weeds have mastered the art of survival, if they are not in your way, let them feed bees

Comment

• Originally posted by Mamzie View Post
            Yikes, this will be our first year trying to grow bulb onions from seed instead of sets, reading through it seems like a lot of you already have them sown. Does anyone multisow in a module or are they all single sown?
            This year I've sown all my varieties in half trays and will be pricking them out into small pots and also some into cellpaks. It's best to prick out when the loop type shoots are just opening up(thats commonly called the crook stage) as they still have a single root at that point and its much easier to get the root into the planting hole

Comment

• Will this be suitable for individual seeds?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Agralan-MA1...78071689&psc=1
              Cheers

Danny

Comment

• Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                This year I've sown all my varieties in half trays and will be pricking them out into small pots and also some into cellpaks. It's best to prick out when the loop type shoots are just opening up(thats commonly called the crook stage) as they still have a single root at that point and its much easier to get the root into the planting hole
                Thank you - will watch out for that x
                and a roll of duct tape.

Comment

• Looks good to me Danny

Comment

• Pricked out 22 Bedfordshire Champion, with a wee bit of scaffolding. No show from the Globo which I kind of expected.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by mcdood View Post
                      Looks good to me Danny
                      Cheers Dood

If I sow them now when should I move them to the bed?
                      Cheers

Danny

Comment

• I wait until after last frost so for me that's End of April beginning of May. AP may be along soon with some expert advice

Comment

• Just ordered some Red Rossa Lunga seeds as I can't find the ones I had left from last year.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• My leeks are romping away, but no onions yet, will re sow tomorrow, not a huge problem, but puts me behind for space in the propagator.

Comment

• Reference post 605 seedings at crook stage

Click image for larger version

Name:	crook stage pic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	2386046

Comment

• single root on seedling (ignore the shallots )

Click image for larger version

Name:	root pic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	2386047

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X