Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by piskieinboots View Post
    He didn't I'm afraid Alison
    And that's the problem with a lot of 'celebrity' gardeners...they make generalizations which may or may not be appropriate for the prevailing growing conditions. If I was growing spuds on a light sandy soil and it hadn't rained for a month I'd be inclined to ignore that particular advice.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the expertise here on the Vine is far superior to anything you might get on any of the gardening programmes. I've stop watching them - they're way to superficial for me to take seriously!

Comment

I do still watch as, frustrating as they are, they are not "Voice X has No Dancing Talent". The scant amout of time given to GYO is an oft expressed complaint and never any real depth of info beyond the basics on GW is annoying.
        Where there's muck, there's brassicas

Comment

Veg Factor?

Comment

One of the reasons I prefer Beechgrove (apart from that it's more suited to me geographically) is that they are quite open in acknowledging the work done by the full time gardening team and don't try to pretend that Jim, Carol etc are toiling away all week without any help.

Comment

Originally posted by Kestrel View Post
              The scant amout of time given to GYO is an oft expressed complaint and never any real depth of info beyond the basics on GW is annoying.
              it's really disappointing that they waffle on about wild flowers then whizz through a whole minute of GYO .... huge waiting lists for allotments, times of "austerity" .... time to "dig for victory" ....
              we record GW and whizz through on fast forward till they do the veggies .....
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

huge waiting lists for allotments, times of "austerity" .... time to "dig for victory" ....
                and Carol Klein with that coquettish giggle in her voice.. Sorry. Shouldn't get personal, I actually like her.
                Last edited by Kestrel; 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kestrel View Post
                  and Carol Klein with that coquettish giggle in her voice.. Sorry. Shouldn't get personal, I actually like her.
                  I find that incredibly annoying. What's so funny, Carol?

GW should be an hour long, there's no real reason for it to not be.

Comment

it's really disappointing that they waffle on about wild flowers"

Why shouldn't flowers get as much coverage as veg? :P

Comment

I think the question is why doesn't veg get as much coverage as flowers! The reference to wild flowers was a working example......wild flowers are wonderful.......but IMHO not as wonderful as veggies.....

Loving my allotment!

Comment

They're synonymous in my opinion (Veg & Flowers - in terms of being grown). I'd like 50% of the time devote to each, but perhaps mixed in - be a great way to introduce people to companion planting, and attract beneficial insects/wildlife -- fits all in Monty's "organic" stance.

I watch both GW and BG, I only tend to watch GW to see the veg stuff, but also as I'll be doing my garden in the near future I make mental notes of flowers that I like, check with my neighbour that they do well in my climate then they make it into the list of things to buy for the garden.

BG I like, as above they show the teams at work, and they seem somewhat more down to earth. I find the Scottish accent quite pleasing to listen to as well. I also like the trials, but wish a bit more time was devoted to it, rather than 30secs whipping through the results.

Comment

Originally posted by GardenFaery View Post
                          it's really disappointing that they waffle on about wild flowers"

Why shouldn't flowers get as much coverage as veg? :P
                          times of austerity .... which wild flowers can we eat?

and the actual time they spend waffling about how wonderful those wild flowers are is totally unnecessary .... no problem with GW discussing flowers, but they drone on and on about them ....

Comment

Originally posted by chris View Post
                            I watch both GW and BG,
                            what's BG? and when it is on? and do they do veggie stuff?

Comment

Birchgrove garden- sorry

Yep, it's based in Scotland as mentioned above, so I figure if it grows well up there, I'll give it a shot down here!

Comment

Beechgrove - just in case you try to iplayer it They also have a website - The Beechgrove Garden - Tern Productions

I watch both, though being not in Scotland I watch BG on iPlayer. I wish GW had more veg stuff, BG does seem to have more GYO, although both are fairly low level once you get really into GYO. However mostly I just find GW relaxing and enjoyable to watch, even if it doesn't cover quite what I want it to.
                                Proud member of the Nutters Club.
                                Life goal: become Barbara Good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X