X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• veggiechicken
    replied
    They look scrumptious TMTT.
    Is it too late to post me some? I'm feeling a bit peckish!

Leave a comment:

• toomanytommytoes
    replied
    Here they are!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Your photo is too big, TMTT. Reduce the size and try again.

Leave a comment:

• toomanytommytoes
    replied
    Just harvested some SFG parsnips. They were sown over 6 squares at 9 seeds per square. The harvest from one 'row' of 3 squares gave a total weight of 1.2 kg. Hopefully the 2 x 3 ft area should yield around 7 kg. Have a photo of them to show the size but the forum gives me a 'database error' when trying to upload.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by toomanytommytoes; 23-12-2019, 02:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• toomanytommytoes
    replied
    16 per square is the same planting density as carrots. Maybe that is for spring onions rather than bulb onions?

Things that have done well in SFG spacing for us - garlic (4), lettuce (4), carrots (16), parsnips (9), dwarf French beans (9). Spring onions I find easier to grow in clumps. Beetroot do OK but I'm going to try in Charles Dowding style clumps next year as it's easier to transplant multi-sown modules.

Leave a comment:

• Martin H
    replied
    Originally posted by rary View Post
    I have been considering trying THE SFG method myself, I have been reading Bartholomew's book but I have doubts about the recommended spacings like 16 onions into one square and I note the m.b thinks 9 per square is too many so will have to rethink on what system I will use
    9 onions per square works fine for me.

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    I have been considering trying THE SFG method myself, I have been reading Bartholomew's book but I have doubts about the recommended spacings like 16 onions into one square and I note the m.b thinks 9 per square is too many so will have to rethink on what system I will use

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Its best to keep to SFG posts on this thread as it can be confusing otherwise - especially for newcomers to SFG who use it for advice.

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Which of these ^^^ are you growing in SFG and which are in containers/ground?
    Edited. I have been using this thread as a personal log to track what's happening rather than use a separate blog thread.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Which of these ^^^ are you growing in SFG and which are in containers/ground?

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    Update. A difficult year as some family issues and work issues meant I wasn't able to look after the plants as much as last year. Less watering and less feeding.

SFG:

Garlic - I probably left to grow for too long and should have cut off the flowers that had developed. The bulbs were much smaller.

Onions - some reasonable sized onions, others were very small. No pattern but I suspect 9 per square is too many. I will reduce to 4 per square next year.

Sweetcorn - grew well but I didn't get a chance to harvest apart from one cob. Was small but reasonably formed and tasty.

Celery - small. Not sure why. I may give up trying to grow these next year.

Calabrese - grew well but time constraints meant I didn't harvest when I should have and flower buds were opening. Tasty. Will grow again.

Containers:

Potatoes - some better sizes than last year but again, probably overcrowded. One seed potato per container next year.

Padron peppers - no flowers. Poor growth.
    Jalapenos - as above. Think they need a minigreenhouse or similar for warmth.

Tomatoes -better now they're in self-watering containers. I didn't feed as often as I should have. Again, needed warmth which we lacked this year.

Carrots - small. Overcrowded. Will try again in larger containers, different medium, less densely packed.

Strawberry plants - a few berries but not many. Will see what happens next year.

Blueberry plants - still small and hasn't grown much. No fruit for year 1.
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 09-09-2019, 07:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Monkeyboy - I've moved the SFG thread back and merged your post so you can post on it now.

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    Fallen behind

I was going to post this in SFG thread but that looks like it's been archived.

I think similar towards the end of last year, I've been incredibly busy this year with work and home life and very little time for the garden.

Good points
    Garlic - planted out in December; doing well. Flowers are starting to develop.
    Onions - again, doing reasonably well
    Sweetcorn - growing well, the bushy top flowery things have developed
    Potatoes - growing in buckets really well despite my lack of watering
    Calabrese - the calabrese that's outdoors have started to make the little bud that develops into calabrese

Bad points
    Calabrese - I didn't get a chance to plant them all out. There are some still in small pots in the propagator and they're in need of transplanting and feeding.
    Padron peppers - again, need a larger pot. These have the whitefly things on them that they had last year. Not doing well.
    Celery - again, turning light green and pale due to lack of space, feed and water.
    Tomatoes -still indoors, need larger pots and feeding; flowers developed and I spotted a tomato growing last night.
    Carrots - seem to be growing okay in a container.

Will they catch up once transplanted into their final positions with feed and water?

Really bad
    Strawberry plants - the flowers have developed and are turning into green strawberry bud things but they're getting damaged or eaten or something. I need netting over them. One plant has turned brown and I don't know why.
    Blueberry plants - still small and hasn't grown much.

Leave a comment:

• Scarlet
    replied
    Originally posted by fivequidnote View Post
    how long, how wide and what orientation are you square foot beds monkeyboy?
    See post #784 ( I think!) there are photos of his set up.

Leave a comment:

• fivequidnote
    replied
    how long, how wide and what orientation are you square foot beds monkeyboy?

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X