Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bluedave
    replied
    Hello, first time here. Got my square foot garden set up today, it's basically a large container really as I've elevated the 4 x 4 bed up,on 3ft legs. I recycled an old plastic trellis for the grid structure. It's a bit messy but should serve a purpose. Just got to fill the thing now.. I'm a bit worried that it still may be a bit early though. It will mostly be salad crops, beets, chard, beans etc.

I'll keep you all up to date with how I get on.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MarkHackwell
    replied
    tried it last year and the string broke, I wanted something a bit more permanent

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Why don't you use string and nails?

Leave a comment:

• MarkHackwell
    replied
    I built a grid to put vegetables in square feet today. Just another one to go and with my wood work skills its quite tiresome :P

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• marcofez
    replied
    Sorry about my last post here! I've just realised i must have pressed post reply before realising I was on the wrong thread! Hope my veg aren't as bad!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• marcofez
    replied
    I found that everything I sowed direct , didn't do very well if at all. Seeds nurtured under cover did really well for me after being hardened off and transplanted. Just keep on checking the weather!
    Anyways, sowed my collection of 30 different tomato seed varieties. Hope to find out which ones I like the taste of, ease of growing and sauce making.

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    Welcome to the Vine maisiem Timings for sowing are very much trial and error anyway; I found I did everything too late last year, and then this year when I've tried to do things earlier the weather has been vicious!

Leave a comment:

• maisiem
    replied

Hi

I have 2 x two tiered raised beds and having read through this thread from the start I have decided that I will be doing the square foot gardening this year. I only had one tiered bed last year and did quite well with beetroots, onions and leeks. I did carrots and lettuce in pots and potatoes in bags. All with varying degrees of success and tomatoes in the greenhouse. Most of the things I had planted too late by the time I had myself organised so I am being more organised this year and trying to keep up with planting on time.

I live in Scotland in the central belt so a wee bit behind England on planting times due to the frosts but I am hopeful I will get it right this year.
    Last edited by maisiem; 13-03-2013, 07:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rabbit
    replied
    Originally posted by Doive View Post
    Finally started planting up some of my veg today, concentrating mostly on onions and garlic this early in the year. Have made up a handy little 1sq ft plywood template, with nine 2" holes bored out of it. Using this and my thin hand trowel allows the soil to be scooped out in a cylinder shape, and the onion/garlic dropped straight in - without the timber the soil all collapses into the hole. So far planted 54 onions, 54 shallots and 36 garlic, all in batches of nine. My beds are probably too big to truly adhere to the sqft principles, but I want to try it and see how I get on. Very exciting so far!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33782[/ATTACH]
    iI'm dead impressed look like this will be a very tidy organised bed!

Personally I'm beginning to doubt I can do sq foot gardening. I've marked out the squares with nails and twine (which will probably disintegrate in a matter of days!) and I've got so many seeds and so little bed space! Maybe that is exactly the reason to do it though!!??? I'll persevere but I think will have to be adaptable according to what survives and what doesn't.

Also I don't think a square foot is good enough space for me to fix up a cane support for the peas, maybe. The good thing is that at least I can put the flowers in the borders (although I don't really like the borders in our garden, but they'll be prettied up a bit by leftovers). My dad want seedlings so hopefully excess won't be wasted. I'm sure people at work would have some too.

Leave a comment:

• Doive
    replied
    Finally started planting up some of my veg today, concentrating mostly on onions and garlic this early in the year. Have made up a handy little 1sq ft plywood template, with nine 2" holes bored out of it. Using this and my thin hand trowel allows the soil to be scooped out in a cylinder shape, and the onion/garlic dropped straight in - without the timber the soil all collapses into the hole. So far planted 54 onions, 54 shallots and 36 garlic, all in batches of nine. My beds are probably too big to truly adhere to the sqft principles, but I want to try it and see how I get on. Very exciting so far!

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Originally posted by Stonewaller View Post
    I have no wall space near my veg beds so I guess it's not going to happen.

Apart from that though, if you grow onions as suggested, what sort of size do they get to? If I had a block of say 4 squares with 9 onions in each, aren't they really crammed together underground? Or should I randomly space my 4 squares throughout the bed so the onions are surrounded by other things that don't develop underground so much?
    9 onions per SF will be fine, they are fairly shallow rooted so will be ok . I personally wouldn't put them in adjacent squares. I would plant flowers & other crops between them mainly to confuse the beasties......(Companion Planting).

Leave a comment:

• Aberdeenplotter
    replied
    Originally posted by Sheneval View Post

AP might be able to give me a bit of guidance as being on the east coast and further north he is more likely to get later frosts than I am on the west coast.
    We can get frost here in mid June matey.

Leave a comment:

• Stonewaller
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    If I had the option, I would not grow squash in a SFG bed. If you want to grow them vertically, play safe and fasten a structure to a wall if poss. Just throwing my 2penneth in.
    I have no wall space near my veg beds so I guess it's not going to happen.

Apart from that though, if you grow onions as suggested, what sort of size do they get to? If I had a block of say 4 squares with 9 onions in each, aren't they really crammed together underground? Or should I randomly space my 4 squares throughout the bed so the onions are surrounded by other things that don't develop underground so much?

Leave a comment:

• Sheneval
    replied
    Thanks - I think it is round about the middle of June brrrrrrrrrrrr

Seriously, I normally don't plant out my bedding plants till near the end of May as I have been caught in the past. However I have plenty of environmesh and as rabbits are a problem will be using it to cover quite a bit of my veg as they never bothered the kid's plot which was totally protected - I also have plenty of fleece and am happy to put overnight cover over all the beds likely to be affected if/when frost is expected.

AP might be able to give me a bit of guidance as being on the east coast and further north he is more likely to get later frosts than I am on the west coast.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Shen - I think the only thing you may have to bear in mind is that you may be a couple of weeks behaind the sarf when it comes to planting out......check out your last frost date.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X