X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximillian
    replied
    Square Foot Planting

Looks good Bluedave. I have two deep containers that i got for my birthday so I want to try this also. My front garden is West facing so not perfect but it really does get the sun in the afternoon so thought I'd try. My husband calls the containers coffins...if he plays up then he will be more involved in the sqp than he'll expect LOL.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bluedave
    replied
    I thought I would give you all an update on my first sfg and first attempt at growing veggies in a few years.

The sfg is going well, results are slower than I expected but I started planting in early April direct into the mix so I can understand why that is. However, all bar the french beans (sown this week) are through and growing well now. It's a pretty steep learning curve for me and I think I worry about too much about having new plants ready to go in after a harvest plus missing the boat and sowing something too late. Overall so far it's been a good experience though.

From the back left to right I have..

Empty, mange tout, empty, empty,
    Empty, chard, dwarf French beans, spinach
    Little gem, carrots, beetroot, lollo rosso
    Radish, strawberry, rocket, radish

I have some Chinese cabbage ready to go in as transplants but I may leave them another week or so. I reckon radish will be ready to harvest in a couple of weeks, they're still pretty thin at the moment.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Bluedave; 22-05-2013, 10:09 PM. Reason: insert picture

Leave a comment:

• VirginVegGrower
    replied
    OK I will give this a whirl as I have a double depth raised bed.

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
    So I could then put one tuber into a one foot square area?
    Assuming .....
    A)You have enough depth of soil ... & ... B)You don't mind them wandering into adjoining squares ... then yes you could,(as far as I have read to date) those would be the only practical reasons not to plant spuds as part of SFG.

Leave a comment:

• KittyColdNose
    replied
    I am trying the onions 9 (ish / it was an afterthought) per sq ft this year.

Leave a comment:

• VirginVegGrower
    replied
    So I could then put one tuber into a one foot square area?

Leave a comment:

• bearded bloke
    replied
    Re the above ......

As potato tubers are planted deeper than the conventional 6in depth of a SFG box frame,the most efficient way to grow them is to make,or buy,one or more high rise boxes.Boxes measuring 1x1x1ft with drainage holes,work well for a crop of early potatoes
    1 tuber per 1x1x1ft container
    Taken from page 233 of Square Metre Gardening .. Mel Bartholomew

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Last year, my SF bed was my most productive. I can only assume that spuds are left off the list not because of earthing up but because of harvesting, they could spread into the adjacent squares.
    Last edited by Bigmallly; 07-05-2013, 12:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• VirginVegGrower
    replied
    Anyone tried the SFG to great effect? New raised bed at home, which I thought I might try it on. I see potatoes are left out of the list of plants on BM's PDF - thanks for that - I assume because you can't earth up, but could I do it with PFA seed for example and just throw compost over them?
    Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 07-05-2013, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• drunkgardener
    replied
    if possible you want latest edition "All New Square Foot Gardening, Second Edition: The Revolutionary Way to Grow More In Less Space "
    or the previous Edition "All New Square Foot Gardening "

Leave a comment:

• rob39
    replied
    I see there are a few books which deal with Sq ft gardening. Anyone recommend one

Leave a comment:

• Bluedave
    replied
    Originally posted by Newton View Post
    Bad name though!!!!
    We all have our crosses to bear...

Leave a comment:

• Bluedave
    replied
    Hi, thanks for the reply. Location should be showing now.

The underside of the bed is made from galvanised half inch wire mesh braced with a a 1x3 and 2 2x1's for additional support. If anything im concerned with too much drainage, theres only weed membrane keeping the growing medium from falling through! Keep your fingers crossed for me please. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Newton
    replied
    Hey bluedave......welcome to the vine......nice raised bed! Bad name though!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Hazel at the Hill
    replied
    Excellent raised bed, BD! You have thought about drainage, haven't you?

Look forward to seeing it filled with crops! Depending on where you are, you can sow about now (all but the french beans), and pop a fleece blanket over if a frost is forecast in your area. Speaking of which, can you put your approx location in your profile - it helps us when giving advice.

Oh - and a warm welcome to the Vine.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X