Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snadger
    replied
    I sometimes get a smelly butt , but wouldn't stick a goldfish in it!

Leave a comment:

• Dottie
    replied
    I've read but not used, a drop of cooking oil in the water butt stops midges, as they can't breath.

Leave a comment:

• rustylady
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Bluestar View Post
    I had a smelly water butt problem which I brought to this forum. Best advice I got here was to clean it out & start again.

It turned out to be cat pooh which was a bit unpleasant. Hope yours is not as bad.
    How on earth did a cat manage to poo in your water butt?

Leave a comment:

• Peter Bluestar
    replied
    I had a smelly water butt problem which I brought to this forum. Best advice I got here was to clean it out & start again.

It turned out to be cat pooh which was a bit unpleasant. Hope yours is not as bad.

Leave a comment:

• Littlemouse
    replied
    I think I read somewhere that if you place some charcoal in the bottom of your water butt it will keep the water sweet and also to keep lid closed shut. Haven't tried charcoal myself yet.
    Last edited by Littlemouse; 04-08-2009, 10:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bazzaboy
    replied
    Er, a more sensible response... I'm mystified by this as I have several water butts about the place and none has midges or smells... A tighter lid might help but its probably the smell attracting the insects.... I guess you'll need to check there's nothing dead in it.... What's the water supply? It shouldn't smell, it shouldn't attract midges etc if it's fresh and regularly used... And I feel very sorry for TwoSheds goldfish..... Mystified. b.

Leave a comment:

• bazzaboy
    replied
    Not dead goldfish is it BB48? b

Leave a comment:

• Two_Sheds
    replied
    I keep goldfish in my butts to eat the midge larvae

Leave a comment:

• Two_Sheds
    replied
    Have you got rotten leaves and stuff in the bottom?

Leave a comment:

• BB48
    started a topic Smelly water butt

Smelly water butt

I got a new water butt in June thinking it would be a while before it filled up with the BBQ summer we were promised - how silly of me!! Anyway it reeeeks. There is a lid on top but a small gap between pipe and lid and loads of midge type things in there. I have been told to drop small amount of cooking oil to help with the midges but what caused the terrible smell and how do I ged rid. Is is safe to use - if ever stops raining that is.

BB

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X