Rats or mice?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rats or mice?

Can anyone identify whether it’s been rats or mice that have nibbled the top part of these carrots? We don’t have rabbits on our plots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	23B8F6EE-1DE7-40CB-B6A3-6DB5534D9BF1.jpeg
Views:	178
Size:	915.2 KB
ID:	2550288

I would say mice or shrews. If it were rats then teeth marks would be more visible.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Could also be squirrels or slugs?

any chance of washing off the soil and take another piccie so we can take a closer look at the damaged surface and edges?
      Last edited by Nicos; 10-08-2022, 01:41 PM.
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        Could also be squirrels or slugs?

any chance of washing off the soil and take another piccie so we can take a closer look at the damaged surface and edges?
        I often get slug damage to the tops of my carrots, but it never looks like that. In my experience, slug damage makes fairly smooth craters, not rough surfaces like those.
        I would suspect a small rodent.

Comment

That’s annoying but those bits can be cut off & then washed,peeled & sliced they should be alright. I wonder if the tops were visible,one of my carrots is sticking out the compost you can see the orange bit,difficult to earth it up it’s so dry,it’s a massive carrot,one of about five that are growing,the others aren’t this big,it’s probably not even big is it knowing my crops,it’s probably wide at the top & short I don’t know

Comment

When you zoom right in there's small ridges which are most probably left by teeth. I'd say small rodent as well. Possibly it's after moisture, you could try putting a small bowl of water nearby Dot, see if it stops the damage.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately I have now cut off the tops and washed them , they are fine, I think mice, we seem to have a lot this year. Beetroot also chewed in a similar way!

I’ve pulled up the carrots now, have some new seedlings growing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X