X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lymmguineas
    replied
    Ok, so I've invested in a cheap lamp.
    A couple of quick questions for those of you that use one for your seedlings.
    How many hours a day do you leave it on for?
    Are there disadvantages (apart from the electricity bill) for leaving it on 24/7?
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Like you Mr Bones I had a look around and it is a bit of a lucky dip.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Ha.. looking at Moneymaker from supplier to supplier the bract changes colour and so does the shape and colour of the fruit. Bit of a lucky dip really
    So you're right Q - it does seem like there are Moneymakers and there are Moneymakers.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
    Mr Bones Your Moneymakers look different to mine. Yours seem to have purple bracts and mine are usually green. Also yours are quite slender, while mine are more teardrop shape.
    So it seems there may be Moneymakers and Moneymakers
    How strange. We most definitely only had Moneymaker for the last few years (they're the only variety we've bought), have just checked a photo of last years and they have purple bracts too.
    Also on King's Seeds website
    https://www.kingsseeds.com/Products/...anum-melongena

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Mr Bones Your Moneymakers look different to mine. Yours seem to have purple bracts and mine are usually green. Also yours are quite slender, while mine are more teardrop shape.
    So it seems there may be Moneymakers and Moneymakers

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Babru View Post
    How do you know when to pick them?
    Any time they are big enough but before they turn matt.
    Mrs quanglewangle likes to stuff them so they need to be quite big.
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 13-02-2022, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    How do you know when to pick them?

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Aubergines are always eaten under-ripe. Once they are ripe they loose their shine and are not nice to eat.
    Last edited by quanglewangle; 13-02-2022, 11:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    Thank you Mr Bones, I'll try one plant and see how it goes. Fingers crossed for a decent summer.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    And another one taken June 19th 2020. We let them grow a little bigger earlier in the season and pick them small near the end (Sept/Oct) when they tend to contain more seeds.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	June-19th-2020.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	2541187

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    Took this photo July 4th 2017 just before the first pick of the season
    Edit to say these and the ones below are Moneymaker.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Aubs July 4th.jpg Views:	0 Size:	291.1 KB ID:	2541185
    Last edited by Mr Bones; 13-02-2022, 09:55 AM. Reason: Add name of variety

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/au...xoClbIQAvD_BwE

Reading this, it says you can pick and use them any size - is this feasible? Or is it September before the first 2 inch one is ready!

Leave a comment:

• Babru
    replied
    Anyone know of some tasty mini aubergines I could try? Our season is a lot shorter than somewhere like Cornwall. I have great success with snack peppers, so aubergines might be the same.

Leave a comment:

• quanglewangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Chippy Minton View Post
    Have gone for Moneymaker this year in the hope that reliability trumps fanciness
    +1 for reliability and Moneymaker!
    Leggyness: if you are able to overlook the dire aesthetic these cheap lamps seem to work. Run off a phone charger. Could be used to supplement windowsill daylight.

Leave a comment:

• Chippy Minton
    replied
    Just sowed ours. We're on the Cheshire Staffordshire border. It's always a game in my experience of not too early that they get leggy on the windowsill whilst waiting for the temperature to be right for an unheated greenhouse (very late last year, lost the first run of cucumbers) against sowing too late and getting nothing.

Have gone for Moneymaker this year in the hope that reliability trumps fanciness

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X