Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm afraid I won't pass on compliments to Jack: his ego is big enough already.
    I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Looks like I'm not the only one keen to start eating aubergines. Black Beauty on the left is untouched, as is the small Early Long Purple (not photographed - because so far it's neither early or long ). Interestingly the two chomped Moneymaker's are from different plants - one in the garden greenhouse and the other from the lotty PT.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aubs.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	618.6 KB
ID:	2547796

Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooking.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	2547798 Click image for larger version

Name:	Eating.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	2547799 Following on from above - griddled the sliced aubs (no oil or salt) and served with goats cheese on top of lettuce, next to crushed spuds with chorizo.

Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Mr Bones one of my moneymakers had a hole just the right hand one in your picture. Luckily towards one end and didn't seem to affect the rest of the fruit.

I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
            Mr Bones one of my moneymakers had a hole just the right hand one in your picture. Luckily towards one end and didn't seem to affect the rest of the fruit.
            I cut the affected bits out, not sure what caused it though - caterpillar, fungal, bacterial. Even went out at night with a torch but couldn't see anything.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• ^^^ I admire your forensic devotion Mr Bones. I just put it down to bugs

Comment

• Snails have a go at aubergines here. I've seen them at it. It surprised me because I thought the skin would be a bit leathery for them.
                Location: north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep. Last frost: usually mid-April, sometimes first week in May. First frost: mid-October.

Comment

• FYI metaldehyde is not banned in greenhouses. The regulations that ban it refer to outside use.

Note: I am not taking a position on use of metaldehyde, just pointing out a detail in the regulations.

Comment

• 3 Aubergine plants in large pots outside doing ok, I Click image for larger version

Name:	1453C2F7-A91B-4F37-B0E4-1E56A9ADE126.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	2548092 Click image for larger version

Name:	315A14DE-C8DC-4C59-8CB0-B4BEF55C24BB.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2548094

Click image for larger version

Name:	315A14DE-C8DC-4C59-8CB0-B4BEF55C24BB.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	2548091 .

Attached Files

Comment

• They are doing well, Dorothy rouse. So well they look like they might outgrow their pots. How deep/wide are the pots? Plus, I presume they look so wet because you've just watered them.

Mine are a mystery to me at the moment. The flowers disappear. They're pollinated and little aubergines start to burgeon. And then they're gone. Not dropped off because unpollinated, I think, as there's never anything on the ground anywhere nearby. It's as if something comes in the night and just eats the whole thing. I've killed a few locusts in the vicinity this year. But they don't normally bother the aubergines when they're this small.
                      Location: north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep. Last frost: usually mid-April, sometimes first week in May. First frost: mid-October.

Comment

• Yes they are in big pots, same size as I grow my tomatoes in, and yes they had just been watered, they’ve suddenly grown this last week

Comment

• Looking good, especially for outside. They do grow fast once the get going.

My pots are only little bit bigger than yours and we get a good crop.

We do remove the big lower leaves.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X