Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was quite windy here yesterday,tied up the toms,cucumbers,melons & the grapevine,thinned the fruit on the grape & apple tree. Planted the first five dahlias & another tomato & two peppers,there’s not too much left to plant out now,I might be able to put the other blowaway in the shed soon. The aphids are loving my runner beans,they’ve got wings to fly to my two plants I haven’t even planted out yet

Comment

• Removed bolted chard, tidied up lettuce plants, picked sweet peas and some nasturtium pods that I'm going to pickle.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Harvested my autumn sown garlic, sowed beetroot and salad leaves. Potted on some chillis, pricked out cauliflower seedlings.Sorted out all my tomato plants into the right places in the gh which took ages but looks so much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by annie8 View Post
          [...] Kicking myself as realised my sweetcorn is suffering from fertiliser burn as I got a bit carried away when chucking around some growmore[...]
          I am surprised growmore is strong enough to do that.
          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Hadnt occurred to me as I don’t usually use that kind of fertiliser. But came across a tub in the gh and thought I’d use it. When I searched for what could be causing the browning and it’s definitely that.
            Last edited by annie8; 26-06-2022, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Fed my toms, cucs and courgettes with comfrey. Weeded GH borders and tied in sweet peas.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Picked my first sweet peas and cosmos for the house today. Potted up some more basil seedlings - working well indoors. Pricked out some cavolo nero seedlings.

Comment

• Planted out some dwarf french bean plants and sowed some more beetroot.

Also, it seems we already have blight on our allotment site... For now it seems confined to two plots on the far side, away from my plot, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time... I talked to those plot holders and advised them to cut down and bag up all of the infected plants, which they are diligently doing, so hopefully that should slow its spread, at least.
                  I'm pretty sure we've worked out why it hit so early. The plot it came from had a row of volunteer potatoes, and those were the first ones infected. I suspect those are from plants which died of blight last year and then when the tubers resprouted this year they got blight very quickly as a result.
                  I'm not too worried about my earlies and second earlies, as they are basically already ready, anyway. Nor am I too worried about the tomatoes, as they are all blight-resistant varieties. What I'm concerned about is my maincrop potatoes...
                  Last edited by ameno; 28-06-2022, 09:38 PM.

Comment

• Continued potting up new bedding plants and repotting all the bedding plants I kept alive from last year. Still so much to do!
                    Last edited by peanut; 28-06-2022, 08:49 PM.
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• Sympathy like there, ameno.

Comment

• Yesterday, actually. Had 3m3 kiln dried logs delivered - half our year's supply.

The kids kindly stacked them in an outhouse, in exchange for pasties. Other half next month: can't get a big truck up our lane.
                        I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."

Comment

• Sowed some more pre-sprouted dwarf french beans and did some weeding.

Comment

• I just put the second & last blowaway in the shed,there’s tomatoes & a cucumber in its place on the patio. Lifted the red onions & garlic,they’re in the shed drying on the blowaway shelves. Where the garlic was,I planted out a spare squash & courgette. Watered everything. Squashed some aphids on my bean leaves. Yesterday I cut the tops off my first bag of Charlotte potatoes,I’ll lift them soon Earthed up the few carrots that are growing so they don’t get green shoulders. Squashed some leaf miners in my pea leaves. Squashed some cabbage weevil that I’ve got for the first time here.

Comment

• A whole load of weeding, and gave some poultry manure to the asparagus and rhubarb.

Comment

• Did some ‘encouraging’ of pollination between male and female squash flowers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X